Case Studies and Case Examples in Innovation
As the transformation of the nation's health system begins to take shape, hospitals and health systems will find themselves more accountable for patient outcomes, patient experience, cost of care, and population health. To be successful, organizations will need to transition from the first curve or payment based on the volume of services provided to the second curve, that is payment based on the value of care to their patients and the communities they serve. This transition will require innovations in care delivery. Case studies and examples of new models of delivery are offered for your reference.
- Upper Middle Tennessee Health Network poster and case study – is a collaboration among 5 hospitals, 2 FQHCs, SNFs, physician and midlevel providers to conserve costs and coordinate care.
- ENHANCE Health Network poster and case study – Lincoln, NE Combines independence with integration and metro with rural to form a clinically integrated network of 66 rural community and teaching hospitals.
- Stratus Health Care poster and case study – in south Georgia is a network of 30 hospitals including 8 CAHs designed to form a clinically integrated network of independent providers.
- Rural Residency Training Track poster and case study--"Grow-your-own" primary care rural residency training track collaboration of University of North Dakota, Grand Forks; Trinity Health, Minot; Mercy Medical Center, Williston, ND.
- Illinois Rural Community Care Organization (IRCCO) poster and case example – is comprised of 21 CAHs and is one of 41 ACO Investment Models (AIM) funded by CMMI
- Wilderness Health poster and case example – is a network of 9 independent rural and community hospitals across northern Minnesota collaborating to capture economies of scale in operations and administration.
- Marcum and Wallace Memorial Hospital (MWMH), Irvine, KY poster and case example-- MWMH has had success in reducing readmissions and improving population health.
- The Heart of New Ulm (HONU) poster and case example-- Allina New Ulm Medical Center, New Ulm, MN has had success in reducing readmissions and improving population health.
- HSHS St. Joseph's Hospital, Chippewa Falls, WI poster and case example-- St. Joseph's Hospital has had success in reducing readmissions and improving population health.
- Copper Queen Community Hospital poster and case example-- Cooper Queen Community Hospital (CQCH), Bisbee, AZ has integrated clinically for 6 specialties through telemedicine.
- Yuma Colorado patient-centered medical home poster and case example-- Yuma Hospital District, Yuma, CO has a patient-centered medical home and participates in the Colorado Medicaid ACO.
State Innovation and Case Examples
Kansas Hospital Association: Primary Health Center Model
- Sustaining Rural Health Care in Kansas - White Paper
- Primary Health Center Model - Executive Summary
- New Models of Health Care Delivery in Rural Areas - Media Release
Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems: Rural Health Reform Initiative
- Oregon Health Authority Rural Health Reform Initiative
- OAHHS Oregon Rural Hospital Sustainability and Transformation Recommendations
Georgia Hospital Association: Rural Free Standing Emergency Departments
- GA Dept. of Comm. Health: Rural free standing emergency department proposed rule, March 24, 2014
- GA Healthcare Facility Regulation: Licensure Application & Checklist FSE
- Draffin & Tucker Overview FSED
Minnesota Hospital Association/MN Department of Health: CAH Payment Reform Task Force: Formed the Critical Access Hospital Payment Reform Task Force in collaboration with the Minnesota Department of Health’s Office of Rural and Primary Health to evaluate current finances and pressures facing CAHs and to consider options for reforming the payment system to a more patient-centered, value-based approach. This work is in anticipation of potentially discussing a demonstration project with the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/orhpc/rhac/agendas/052014.pdf