The price of prescription drugs has skyrocketed over the past several years. These price increases are extremely troublesome throughout the health care system. Unchecked drug price increases are not sustainable, and are a serious economic threat to the patients and communities we serve. They not only threaten patient access to drug therapies, but challenge providers’ abilities to provide the highest quality of care.
Did you know?
- Last year total spending on prescription drugs surpassed $309.5 billion
- Spending on drugs rose 8.5% in 2015
- The cost of some drugs jumped as much as 3,600% over two years
Hospitals bear a heavy financial burden when the cost of drugs increases. They are not only major purchasers of drugs, but patients often end up in the hospital when they cannot afford to take their medications as prescribed. To that end, the American Hospital Association is proud to be an active member of Campaign for Sustainable Rx Pricing – a diverse coalition of doctors, hospitals, pharmacists, employers, health plans, seniors, patients, consumers and others coming together to find common ground and solutions.
Moving forward, the AHA is committed to working for action on policies that foster transparency, competition and value while fostering innovation.
- Mar 22, 2017 | Hearings highlight how restrictive use programs can limit generic competition
- Mar 22, 2017 | Study: Septic shock drug shortage associated with higher mortality in 2011
- Mar 17, 2017 | HRSA further delays effective date of final rule on 340B drug ceiling prices
- Mar 10, 2017 | AHA Stat blog: Congress should protect the 340B program
- Mar 9, 2017 | Reminder: AHA webinar March 16 on strategies to address rising medication costs
- Mar 3, 2017 | MedPAC considers reforms to Part B drug payment policy
- Mar 3, 2017 | AHA comments on proposed MA, Part D payment and policy changes for 2018
- Mar 2, 2017 | HRSA delays effective date of final rule on 340B drug ceiling prices to March 21
- Mar 2, 2017 | AHA webinar March 16 on strategies to address rising medication costs
- Mar 1, 2017 | President calls on Congress to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act
- Oct. 11, 2016 | Infographic: A Dose of Facts
- Jan 09, 2017 | AHA to House supporting H.R. 304, the Protecting Patient Access to Emergency Medications Act of 2017
- Oct 11, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on 340B Proposed Rule on Administrative Dispute Resolution Process
- Oct 11, 2016 | Hospital Data Show Skyrocketing Drug Prices