The price of prescription drugs has skyrocketed over the past several years. These price increases are extremely troublesome throughout the health care system. Unchecked drug price increases are not sustainable, and are a serious economic threat to the patients and communities we serve. They not only threaten patient access to drug therapies, but challenge providers’ abilities to provide the highest quality of care.
Did you know?
- Last year total spending on prescription drugs surpassed $309.5 billion
- Spending on drugs rose 8.5% in 2015
- The cost of some drugs jumped as much as 3,600% over two years
Hospitals bear a heavy financial burden when the cost of drugs increases. They are not only major purchasers of drugs, but patients often end up in the hospital when they cannot afford to take their medications as prescribed. To that end, the American Hospital Association is proud to be an active member of Campaign for Sustainable Rx Pricing – a diverse coalition of doctors, hospitals, pharmacists, employers, health plans, seniors, patients, consumers and others coming together to find common ground and solutions.
Moving forward, the AHA is committed to working for action on policies that foster transparency, competition and value while fostering innovation.
- Dec 2, 2016 | CMS: National health spending grows 5.8% in 2015
- Nov 22, 2016 | Study examines ED visits related to adverse drug events
- Nov 18, 2016 | CDC: Potentially preventable deaths from unintentional injuries up 23%
- Nov 17, 2016 | Surgeon General issues report on preventing substance misuse, related disorders
- Nov 14, 2016 | CMS releases 2015 data on Medicare, Medicaid drug spending
- Nov 3, 2016 | MedPAC discusses policy options related to consolidation
- Nov 2, 2016 | CMS releases final 2017 physician payment rule
- Oct 21, 2016 | 'Take Back Day' Saturday to safely dispose of prescription drugs
- Oct 18, 2016 | State leaders propose solutions to rising prescription drug costs
- Oct 13, 2016 | States expect slower Medicaid enrollment, spending growth to continue
- Oct. 11, 2016 | Infographic: A Dose of Facts
- Oct 11, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on 340B Proposed Rule on Administrative Dispute Resolution Process
- Oct 11, 2016 | Hospital Data Show Skyrocketing Drug Prices