The price of prescription drugs has skyrocketed over the past several years. These price increases are extremely troublesome throughout the health care system. Unchecked drug price increases are not sustainable, and are a serious economic threat to the patients and communities we serve. They not only threaten patient access to drug therapies, but challenge providers’ abilities to provide the highest quality of care.
Did you know?
- Last year total spending on prescription drugs surpassed $309.5 billion
- Spending on drugs rose 8.5% in 2015
- The cost of some drugs jumped as much as 3,600% over two years
Hospitals bear a heavy financial burden when the cost of drugs increases. They are not only major purchasers of drugs, but patients often end up in the hospital when they cannot afford to take their medications as prescribed. To that end, the American Hospital Association is proud to be an active member of Campaign for Sustainable Rx Pricing – a diverse coalition of doctors, hospitals, pharmacists, employers, health plans, seniors, patients, consumers and others coming together to find common ground and solutions.
Moving forward, the AHA is committed to working for action on policies that foster transparency, competition and value while fostering innovation.
- Feb 3, 2017 | FDA warns of reaction to skin antiseptic products containing chlorhexidine gluconate
- Feb 2, 2017 | CMS proposes MA, Part D payment and policy changes for 2018
- Feb 2, 2017 | AHA brief examines how hospitals are holding the line on costs
- Feb 1, 2017 | 340B omnibus guidance withdrawn
- Jan 26, 2017 | Study looks at variance in premature death rates
- Jan 25, 2017 | Governors urge Congress to consider states' health care reform priorities
- Jan 23, 2017 | CMS: Part D drug rebates/price concessions raise beneficiary costs, subsidies
- Jan 12, 2017 | MedPAC finalizes 2018 payment recommendations for hospital services
- Jan 6, 2017 | OIG: High-price drugs driving up cost of Medicare Part D catastrophic coverage
- Jan 4, 2017 | HRSA issues final rule on 340B drug ceiling prices, manufacturer penalties
- Oct. 11, 2016 | Infographic: A Dose of Facts
- Jan 09, 2017 | AHA to House supporting H.R. 304, the Protecting Patient Access to Emergency Medications Act of 2017
- Oct 11, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on 340B Proposed Rule on Administrative Dispute Resolution Process
- Oct 11, 2016 | Hospital Data Show Skyrocketing Drug Prices