The price of prescription drugs has skyrocketed over the past several years. These price increases are extremely troublesome throughout the health care system. Unchecked drug price increases are not sustainable, and are a serious economic threat to the patients and communities we serve. They not only threaten patient access to drug therapies, but challenge providers’ abilities to provide the highest quality of care.
Did you know?
- Last year total spending on prescription drugs surpassed $309.5 billion
- Spending on drugs rose 8.5% in 2015
- The cost of some drugs jumped as much as 3,600% over two years
Hospitals bear a heavy financial burden when the cost of drugs increases. They are not only major purchasers of drugs, but patients often end up in the hospital when they cannot afford to take their medications as prescribed. To that end, the American Hospital Association is proud to be an active member of Campaign for Sustainable Rx Pricing – a diverse coalition of doctors, hospitals, pharmacists, employers, health plans, seniors, patients, consumers and others coming together to find common ground and solutions.
Moving forward, the AHA is committed to working for action on policies that foster transparency, competition and value while fostering innovation.
- Apr 27, 2017 | Legislation to encourage generic drug entry introduced in House and Senate
- Apr 25, 2017 | AHA comments on CMS request for information regarding Medicare Advantage
- Apr 20, 2017 | FDA restricts use of codeine and tramadol medicines in children
- Apr 20, 2017 | 'Take Back Day' next week to safely dispose of prescription drugs
- Apr 18, 2017 | Tool depicts national, local drug poisoning trends
- Apr 13, 2017 | CMS reports on quality disparities for MA patients by gender, including race/ethnicity
- Apr 10, 2017 | AHA joins the ABMS Multi-Specialty Portfolio Program
- Apr 7, 2017 | MedPAC finalizes recommendations for Part B drug payment policy
- Apr 3, 2017 | CMS finalizes MA, Part D payment and policy for 2018
- Mar 30, 2017 | President establishes commission to review federal response to opioid crisis
- Oct. 11, 2016 | Infographic: A Dose of Facts
- Apr 27, 2017 | AHA to Sen. Leahy Re: the CREATES Act of 2017
- Jan 09, 2017 | AHA to House supporting H.R. 304, the Protecting Patient Access to Emergency Medications Act of 2017
- Oct 11, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on 340B Proposed Rule on Administrative Dispute Resolution Process
- Oct 11, 2016 | Hospital Data Show Skyrocketing Drug Prices