The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) established new standards for the confidentiality, security, and transmissibility of health care information. There are three types of standards created by HIPAA: privacy, security and administrative simplification (e.g., transaction standards). Taken together, these regulations have a major impact on the day-to-day functioning of the nation's hospitals and affect virtually every department of every entity that provides or pays for health care.
- Nov 13, 2013 | Websites offer resources for assisting the Philippines
- Aug 14, 2013 | HHS settles photocopier HITECH breach case with health plan
- Dec 07, 2012 | Congress urged to preserve tax deduction for charitable giving
- Mar 14, 2012 | HHS, insurer settle HIPAA breach notification case
- Aug 01, 2011 | AHA urges changes to proposed rule for PHI disclosures
- Jun 01, 2011 | HHS issues proposal to implement HITECH 'accounting of disclosures' mandate
- May 04, 2011 | Bills to repeal Medicaid, CHIP MOE requirement introduced
- Sep 10, 2010 | AHA urges HHS to improve HITECH rule modifying HIPAA provisions
- Sep 02, 2010 | HHS selects final communities for HITECH Beacon program
- Aug 06, 2010 | AHA to hold calls on HITECH-mandated changes to HIPAA
- Nov 15, 2013 | The next generation
- May 13, 2013 | AHA comment letter to CMS extending the Stark protections for Health IT donations.
- May 13, 2013 | AHA comment letter to OIG extending the antikickback protections for Health IT donations.
- Jan 18, 2013 | HHS Office for Civil Rights Releases Final HIPAA Rule
- Oct 03, 2012 | Administrative Simplification: Adoption of Operating Rules for Health Care Electronic Funds Transfer
- Feb 16, 2012 | AHA Comments to CMS Re: Medicaid; Disproportionate Share Hospital Payments-Uninsured Definition
- Dec 19, 2011 | Interim Final Rule: Adoption of Operating Rules for Eligibility for a Health Plan
- Nov 14, 2011 | AHA Comments Re: The CLIA Program and HIPAA Privacy Rule: Patients' Access to Test Reports
- Aug 01, 2011 | HHS OCR's proposed rule on HIPAA Privacy Rule's Accounting of Disclosures under HITECH
- Jul 20, 2011 | Model Comments on the Proposed HIPAA Privacy Rule Accounting of Disclosures under HITECH
- Jul 20, 2011 | Comments due Aug. 1 on HHS proposal to implement 'accounting of disclosures' mandate