The high costs associated with the current medical liability system not only harm hospitals and physicians, but also patients and their communities. Across the nation, access to health care is being negatively impacted as physicians move from states with high insurance costs or stop providing services that may expose them to a greater risk of litigation. The increased costs that result from the current flawed medical liability system not only hinder access to affordable health care, they also threaten the stability of the health care field, which employed 5.3 million people in 2009, and continues to be one of the largest sources of private-sector jobs. An estimated $50 to $100 billion is spent annually on defensive medicine – services not provided for the primary purpose of benefiting the patient, but rather to mitigate the risk of liability. To help make health care more affordable and efficient, the current medical liability system must be reformed.
- Feb 28, 2017 | House committee passes bill to repeal antitrust exemption for health insurers
- Mar 22, 2016 | House Judiciary Committee considers medical liability reform bill
- Mar 17, 2016 | House Republican budget plan clears committee
- Mar 15, 2016 | House budget plan unveiled
- May 8, 2015 | Missouri caps non-economic damages in medical liability cases
- Apr 30, 2015 | Montana governor signs Medicaid expansion bill
- Mar 26, 2015 | House passes budget resolution
- Mar 19, 2015 | House budget plan clears committee, could go to floor next week
- Mar 17, 2015 | House budget plan unveiled
- Oct 23, 2014 | Study: Less restrictive caps on medical liability noneconomic damages have no effect
- Apr 29, 2014 | AHA to Sen. Rob Portman Re: Support the Medical Care Access Protection Act of 2013 (S. 44).
- Feb 16, 2012 | AHA Comments to CMS Re: Medicaid; Disproportionate Share Hospital Payments-Uninsured Definition
- May 02, 2011 | AHA's comments to House Committee on Energy and Commerce on Medicare physician payment issues
- Apr 06, 2011 | AHA to the House Energy and Commerce Committee Re: Cost of the Medical Liability System Proposals
- Dec 01, 2010 | AHA Statement on the Final Report from the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility
- Mar 22, 2010 | AHA Special Bulletin: Summary of Major Provisions in Final House Reform Package
- Feb 21, 2006 | Testimony of AHA before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary on The Medical Liability Crisis and it
- Jun 01, 2002 | TrendWatch: Medical Liability Insurance: Looming Crisis?
- Jun 01, 2002 | TrendWatch: Medical Liability Insurance: Looming Crisis? Part 2