Limited-service providers, also known as “niche” or specialty providers, are not new, but the nature and pace of their growth is. They include heart hospitals, orthopedic hospitals, surgical hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs), cancer hospitals and centers, dialysis clinics, pain centers, imaging centers, mammography centers, and a host of other narrowly focused providers. The last decade has seen explosive growth in both inpatient and ambulatory limited-service providers, increasingly owned, at least in part, by the physicians who refer patients to them.
The AHA is very concerned that the growth of limited-service providers, if left solely to market forces, will undermine access to health care services for communities across this country.
- Jul 12, 2016 | Hospital leaders urge Congress to remove legal barriers to health care transformation
- Jul 5, 2016 | AHA to Congress: Remove legal barriers to care coordination
- Jun 30, 2016 | Hatch issues paper to 'jumpstart' Stark law reform discussion
- Jan 29, 2016 | AHA urges Congress to remove legal barriers to value-based payment arrangements
- Nov 16, 2015 | CMS finalizes model to bundle payments for hip and knee replacements
- Oct 28, 2015 | CMS finalizes fraud and abuse waivers for Medicare ACOs
- Sep 8, 2015 | AHA comments on physician fee schedule proposed rule
- Jun 2, 2015 | AHA Op-Ed: Support true competition among hospitals
- May 27, 2015 | Congress urged to maintain limits on physician-owned hospitals
- May 26, 2015 | AHA to Congress: H.R. 2513 would promote neither access nor competition
- Jan 29, 2016 | AHA comments to House Ways and Means Committee on improving the physician self-referral (Stark) law
- Jan 29, 2016 | AHA comments to Senate Finance Committee on how to improve the physician self-referral (Stark) law
- Aug 04, 2015 | CMS Proposes Changes to the Physician Self-Referral Regulations
- May 27, 2015 | Hospital Groups to House Committee on Ways and Means: Maintain Limits on Physician-owned Hospitals
- May 26, 2015 | Letter to House Ways and Means Committee: Reject H.R. 2513
- May 19, 2015 | Testimony to House Ways & Means Health Subcommittee to preserve the ban on physician self-referral
- Feb 16, 2012 | AHA Comments to CMS Re: Medicaid; Disproportionate Share Hospital Payments-Uninsured Definition
- Nov 08, 2011 | Accountable Care Organizations: Guidance to Address Antitrust, Fraud & Abuse and Tax Exemption...
- Jul 05, 2011 | CMS Releases Three Proposed Rules for CY 2012
- May 18, 2011 | AHA Special Bulletin: AHA Model Comment Letters on ACO-Related Fraud and Abuse and Antitrust Issues