Medicare is a federal health insurance program established by the US Congress in 1965 as Title 18 of the Social Security Act. Coverage began in July of 1966. Medicare is designed to assist individuals aged 65 and older, some disabled individuals under the age of 65, as well as patients with end-stage renal (kidney) disease (ESRD). Medicare coverage is tied to eligibility for Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits. However, persons receiving early retirement benefits from Social Security are not eligible for Medicare until they turn 65. Medicare enrollment is handled by the Social Security Administration. Unlike Medical Assistance, Medicare is not based on income or assets. About 35 million elders and about 4 million disabled persons are enrolled nationwide. In the Balanced Budget Act of 1997, Congress established an addition to the Medicare program, referred to as Medicare Part C or Medicare + Choice. The Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 changed the name of Medicare + Choice to Medicare Advantage and established another addition to the Medicare program, referred to as Medicare Part D.
Source: An Introduction to Medicare. SeniorLAW. Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. 29, Oct. 2003
- Aug 22, 2014 | AHA again urges HHS to halt flawed and redundant OIG audits
- Aug 22, 2014 | CMS can award new contracts for RACs, court rules
- Aug 20, 2014 | CMS seeks comments on potential patient engagement initiatives
- Aug 19, 2014 | Reminder: HHS webinar on financial concerns of health care disaster recovery
- Aug 18, 2014 | AHA submits comments on proposed CY 2015 home health rule
- Aug 13, 2014 | GAO to CMS: More oversight and guidance needed for audits
- Aug 12, 2014 | AHA urges Congress to expand, protect access to health care-related data
- Aug 12, 2014 | Reminder: IRF, LTCH quality data due Friday
- Aug 12, 2014 | Medicare proposes covering non-invasive screening test for colorectal cancer
- Aug 11, 2014 | CMS adds pelvic exam to list of approved stand-alone preventive services
- Aug 21, 2014 | AHA again urges HHS to halt flawed and redundant OIG audits
- Aug 01, 2014 | CMS Officially Sets Oct. 1, 2015 as Transition Date to ICD-10
- Aug 01, 2014 | Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule for CY 2015
- Jul 09, 2014 | AHA before the Senate's Special Committee on Aging: "Improving Audits..."
- Jul 09, 2014 | Final Rule for Burden Reduction Affecting CoPs/CfCs for Hospitals, CAHs and Other Providers
- Jul 08, 2014 | OMHA Announces Pilot Programs to Address Administrative Law Judge Appeals Backlog
- Jul 07, 2014 | CMS Releases Three Proposed Rules for CY 2015: Hospital Outpatient/ASC Payment System, Physician...
- Jul 03, 2014 | Update on 2015 Regulatory Actions for ACA Marketplace and Medicare Advantage
- Jun 25, 2014 | CMS Implements Extension of Payment Adjustment for Low-Volume and Medicare-Dependent Hospital...
- Jun 17, 2014 | AHA Comments Re: Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Records Incentive Programs for 2014
Topics in Medicare