Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs)
Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs) furnish extended medical and rehabilitative care to individuals with clinically complex problems, such as multiple acute or chronic conditions, that need hospital-level care for relatively extended periods. To qualify as an LTCH for Medicare payment, a facility must meet Medicare's conditions of participation for acute care hospitals and have an average inpatient length of stay greater than 25 days. Medicare recognized 436 LTCHs in 2011.
In addition to this Web site, AHA members may also be interested in visiting the Constituency Section for Long-Term Care and Rehabilitation which seeks to improve continuity of care between acute, pre- and post-acute, and long-term services, and to support efforts to improve delivery of health-related services to chronically ill, elderly, and disabled persons requiring continuing care in institutions, the community, and the home.
For further assistance, AHA members can call (800) 424-4301.
For a complete listing of AHA Efforts and related Tools & Resources, please see the tabbed boxes below.
- Mar 27, 2017 | Reminder: IRF and LTCH quality data preview reports available through March 30
- Mar 21, 2017 | Reminder: IRF and LTCH quality data preview reports available through March 30
- Mar 14, 2017 | Online training on National Healthcare Safety Network available March 20-24
- Mar 3, 2017 | MedPAC may ask Congress to accelerate common PAC PPS
- Mar 2, 2017 | IRF and LTCH quality data preview reports available through March 30
- Feb 10, 2017 | CMS extends deadlines for submitting certain quality reporting data
- Feb 7, 2017 | Bills to count certain income toward Medicaid, CHIP eligibility advance in House
- Jan 31, 2017 | House panel holds first of two hearings this week on Medicaid
- Jan 13, 2017 | MedPAC finalizes 2018 payment recommendations for post-acute care
- Jan 9, 2017 | AHA comments on MedPAC's draft recommendations for FY 2018
- Jan 06, 2017 | Comments on MedPAC's draft recommendations for FY 2018
- Oct 31, 2016 | CMS Revises Long-term Care Facility Requirements
- Oct 27, 2016 | AHA shares legislative priorities with House
- Oct 27, 2016 | AHA shares legislative priorities with Senate
- Sep 01, 2016 | AHA Expresses Support for H.R. 5713, LTCH 25% Rule Relief
- Aug 30, 2016 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: The Final Rule for FY 2017
- Aug 03, 2016 | CMS Issues FY 2017 Final Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: LTCHs, IRFs & SNFs
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on FY 2016 LTCH Proposed Rule
- May 18, 2016 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: The Proposed Rule for FY 2017
- Apr 22, 2016 | CMS Releases FY 2017 Proposed Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: IRFs, SNFs & LTCHs
Members Only Calls
Members-Only Call: Washington Update for Long-Term Care Hospitals/Systems (February 20, 2015)
The Long-Term Care Hospital Improvement Act of 2011