Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs)
Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs) furnish extended medical and rehabilitative care to individuals with clinically complex problems, such as multiple acute or chronic conditions, that need hospital-level care for relatively extended periods. To qualify as an LTCH for Medicare payment, a facility must meet Medicare's conditions of participation for acute care hospitals and have an average inpatient length of stay greater than 25 days. Medicare recognized 436 LTCHs in 2011.
In addition to this Web site, AHA members may also be interested in visiting the Constituency Section for Long-Term Care and Rehabilitation which seeks to improve continuity of care between acute, pre- and post-acute, and long-term services, and to support efforts to improve delivery of health-related services to chronically ill, elderly, and disabled persons requiring continuing care in institutions, the community, and the home.
For further assistance, AHA members can call (800) 424-4301.
Letter: AHA Comments to CMS Re: Reform Requirements for Long-term Care Facilities Oct. 14, 2015
Regulatory Advisory: Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: Final Rule for FY 2016 Aug. 25, 2015
For a complete listing of AHA Efforts and related Tools & Resources, please see the tabbed boxes below.
- Feb 3, 2016 | CMS data system for post-acute care down for five days next month
- Jan 22, 2016 | AHA long-term care/rehab section names 2016 leaders
- Jan 15, 2016 | MedPAC finalizes post-acute recommendations; discusses post-acute payment prototype
- Dec 18, 2015 | AHA report examines post-acute care trends, innovations
- Dec 11, 2015 | MedPAC discusses draft 2017 payment recommendations for post-acute care
- Nov 19, 2015 | CMS seeks comments as it develops IRF, LTCH patient experience surveys
- Nov 6, 2015 | MedPAC discusses progress toward unified post-acute payment system
- Nov 5, 2015 | CMS announces NY dual-eligible demonstration for people with disabilities
- Oct 29, 2015 | CMS issues proposed discharge planning rule for hospitals, certain post-acute providers
- Oct 28, 2015 | National Healthcare Safety Network data submission deadline approaching
- Jan 22, 2016 | Jon C. Skinner to Lead AHA's Section for Long-Term Care and Rehabilitation Governing Council
- Jan 11, 2016 | AHA Comments to MedPAC on draft payment recommendations for FY 2017
- Oct 30, 2015 | CMS Issues Proposed Rule on Discharge Planning for Hospitals, Certain Post-Acute Providers
- Oct 14, 2015 | AHA Comments to CMS Re: Reform Requirements for Long-term Care Facilities
- Sep 09, 2015 | Medicare Inpatient PPS: The Final Rule for FY 2016
- Aug 25, 2015 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: Final Rule for FY 2016
- Aug 10, 2015 | CMS Proposes to Overhaul Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities
- Aug 03, 2015 | CMS Releases FY 2016 Final Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: LTCHs, IRFs, & SNFs
- Jun 16, 2015 | AHA comments to CMS Re: IPPS Proposed Rule for Fiscal Year (FY) 2016
- Jun 01, 2015 | AHA to Reps. Ryan and Levin Re: Offsets Included in H.R. 2580
Members Only Calls
Members-Only Call: Washington Update for Long-Term Care Hospitals/Systems (February 20, 2015)
The Long-Term Care Hospital Improvement Act of 2011