Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs)
Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs) furnish extended medical and rehabilitative care to individuals with clinically complex problems, such as multiple acute or chronic conditions, that need hospital-level care for relatively extended periods. To qualify as an LTCH for Medicare payment, a facility must meet Medicare's conditions of participation for acute care hospitals and have an average inpatient length of stay greater than 25 days. Medicare recognized 436 LTCHs in 2011.
In addition to this Web site, AHA members may also be interested in visiting the Constituency Section for Long-Term Care and Rehabilitation which seeks to improve continuity of care between acute, pre- and post-acute, and long-term services, and to support efforts to improve delivery of health-related services to chronically ill, elderly, and disabled persons requiring continuing care in institutions, the community, and the home.
For further assistance, AHA members can call (800) 424-4301.
For a complete listing of AHA Efforts and related Tools & Resources, please see the tabbed boxes below.
- Sep 21, 2016 | House passes bill providing relief from 25% Rule
- Sep 6, 2016 | AHA voices support for bill providing relief from 25% Rule
- Aug 25, 2016 | IRF and LTCH quality data preview reports available Sept. 1
- Aug 2, 2016 | CMS issues LTCH PPS final rule for FY 2017
- Jul 13, 2016 | House approves bill extending relief from LTCH 25% rule
- Jun 29, 2016 | House members urge CMS to waive FFS barriers to alternative payment models
- Jun 23, 2016 | Burwell names nine to health IT advisory committees
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA comments on inpatient payment proposals for FY 2017
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA urges CMS to improve LTCH proposed rule
- Jun 16, 2016 | MedPAC issues June report to Congress
- Sep 01, 2016 | AHA Expresses Support for H.R. 5713, LTCH 25% Rule Relief
- Aug 30, 2016 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: The Final Rule for FY 2017
- Aug 03, 2016 | CMS Issues FY 2017 Final Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: LTCHs, IRFs & SNFs
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on FY 2016 LTCH Proposed Rule
- May 18, 2016 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: The Proposed Rule for FY 2017
- Apr 22, 2016 | CMS Releases FY 2017 Proposed Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: IRFs, SNFs & LTCHs
- Apr 19, 2016 | CMS Issues LTCH PPS Proposed Rule for FY 2017
- Jan 22, 2016 | Jon C. Skinner to Lead AHA's Section for Long-Term Care and Rehabilitation Governing Council
- Jan 11, 2016 | AHA Comments to MedPAC on draft payment recommendations for FY 2017
- Oct 30, 2015 | CMS Issues Proposed Rule on Discharge Planning for Hospitals, Certain Post-Acute Providers
Members Only Calls
Members-Only Call: Washington Update for Long-Term Care Hospitals/Systems (February 20, 2015)
The Long-Term Care Hospital Improvement Act of 2011