Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs)
Long-term care hospitals (LTCHs) furnish extended medical and rehabilitative care to individuals with clinically complex problems, such as multiple acute or chronic conditions, that need hospital-level care for relatively extended periods. To qualify as an LTCH for Medicare payment, a facility must meet Medicare's conditions of participation for acute care hospitals and have an average inpatient length of stay greater than 25 days. Medicare recognized 436 LTCHs in 2011.
In addition to this Web site, AHA members may also be interested in visiting the Constituency Section for Long-Term Care and Rehabilitation which seeks to improve continuity of care between acute, pre- and post-acute, and long-term services, and to support efforts to improve delivery of health-related services to chronically ill, elderly, and disabled persons requiring continuing care in institutions, the community, and the home.
For further assistance, AHA members can call (800) 424-4301.
For a complete listing of AHA Efforts and related Tools & Resources, please see the tabbed boxes below.
- Nov 30, 2016 | AHA shares policy principles for new post-acute care PPS with HHS
- Nov 29, 2016 | AHA urges House to pass 21st Century Cures Act
- Oct 28, 2016 | CMS to release online training for new long-term care requirements
- Oct 27, 2016 | AHA urges Congress to act on hospital priorities during post-election session
- Oct 6, 2016 | AHA recognizes Minnesota hospital with Living the Vision Award
- Oct 3, 2016 | CMS issues corrections to FY 2017 inpatient/LTCH final rule
- Sep 29, 2016 | CMS issues final rule revising CoPs for long-term care facilities
- Sep 29, 2016 | CDC: Hospitals continue to lead other health care settings in worker flu vaccinations
- Sep 21, 2016 | House passes bill providing relief from 25% Rule
- Sep 6, 2016 | AHA voices support for bill providing relief from 25% Rule
- Oct 31, 2016 | CMS Revises Long-term Care Facility Requirements
- Oct 27, 2016 | AHA shares legislative priorities with House
- Oct 27, 2016 | AHA shares legislative priorities with Senate
- Sep 01, 2016 | AHA Expresses Support for H.R. 5713, LTCH 25% Rule Relief
- Aug 30, 2016 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: The Final Rule for FY 2017
- Aug 03, 2016 | CMS Issues FY 2017 Final Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: LTCHs, IRFs & SNFs
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA Comments to CMS on FY 2016 LTCH Proposed Rule
- May 18, 2016 | Long-Term Care Hospital PPS: The Proposed Rule for FY 2017
- Apr 22, 2016 | CMS Releases FY 2017 Proposed Rules for Three Post-Acute Care Settings: IRFs, SNFs & LTCHs
- Apr 19, 2016 | CMS Issues LTCH PPS Proposed Rule for FY 2017
Members Only Calls
Members-Only Call: Washington Update for Long-Term Care Hospitals/Systems (February 20, 2015)
The Long-Term Care Hospital Improvement Act of 2011