Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Nov 25, 2015 | CMMI to host second webinar on new CJR bundled payment model
- Nov 24, 2015 | FDA issues warning for intravascular medical devices
- Nov 23, 2015 | CMS extends deadline for PQRS informal review process to Dec. 11
- Nov 20, 2015 | CMS issues proposed rule on notice of benefit and payment parameters for 2017
- Nov 20, 2015 | HHS announces $469 million in 2014 premium rebates under MLR
- Nov 19, 2015 | Congress urged to continue commitment to rural hospitals
- Nov 19, 2015 | CMS seeks comments as it develops IRF, LTCH patient experience surveys
- Nov 19, 2015 | AHRQ issues CAUTI prevention toolkit
- Nov 18, 2015 | House holds hearing on VA plan to consolidate community care programs
- Nov 18, 2015 | Tiberi to chair Ways and Means health subcommittee
- Nov 23, 2015 | CMS Proposes Flexibility for Hospitals in Choosing Partners to Improve Patient Safety
- Nov 23, 2015 | CMS Issues Omnibus Health Insurance Proposed Rule and Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters
- Sep 25, 2015 | American Hospital Association/Health Research & Educational Trust Selected to Continue Improvements in Patient Safety
- Sep 16, 2015 | Aligning ICU Treatment with Patient Priorities
- Aug 25, 2015 | AHA, Health Organizations to CMS Re: Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock Management Bundle Measure
- Jul 29, 2015 | Consumer Reports Publishes New Infection Rate Ratings
- Jul 20, 2015 | Four Hospitals Honored for Commitment to Quality
- Jul 20, 2015 | Medicare Outpatient PPS and ASC Proposed Rule for CY 2016
- Jul 14, 2015 | A Message to Members: New Surgical Ratings Systems Debut
- Jun 25, 2015 | AHA to CMS Re: Missing Data for CAHs in the April 2015 Update of Hospital Compare
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.