Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- May 26, 2016 | Proposed rule would allow VA to grant full practice authority to APRNs
- May 25, 2016 | CMS accepting proposals for Hospital Improvement Innovation Networks
- May 25, 2016 | AHASTAT blog: For report cards, the answer is not always more information
- May 24, 2016 | Hospital bill clears committee with HOPD, equity, rural provisions
- May 23, 2016 | AHA voices support for hospital bill's HOPD, equity, rural provisions
- May 23, 2016 | AHRQ issues Patient Safety Act guidance for PSOs, providers
- May 23, 2016 | AHRQ-HRET toolkit helps hospitals implement CANDOR process
- May 20, 2016 | AHA participates in Washington briefing on MACRA
- May 18, 2016 | Ways and Means leaders unveil 'hospital bill'
- May 16, 2016 | Study: Socioeconomic, other risk factors explain racial disparity in asthma readmissions
- Apr 28, 2016 | AHA urges reassessment of HCAHPS survey pain questions
- Apr 20, 2016 | CMS Delays release of Hospital Compare Overall Star Ratings
- Apr 20, 2016 | Statement on Delay of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Overall Star Ratings
- Apr 12, 2016 | Verification of Graduate Medical Education
- Apr 11, 2016 | Three days Remain to Get Signatures on Bipartisan House Letter Urging Delay of Star Ratings Release
- Apr 05, 2016 | Bipartisan letters ask CMS to delay release of Hospital Compare Star Ratings until methodology and accuracy are improved
- Apr 05, 2016 | Health Organizations Request Delayed Release of Hospital Star Ratings on Hospital Compare Website
- Mar 31, 2016 | Bipartisan letter asks CMS to delay release of Hospital Compare Star Ratings
- Mar 29, 2016 | Preparing for the April Release of Hospital Compare Quality Star Ratings
- Mar 25, 2016 | AHA Comments on CMS's Proposed Rule on Expanding Uses of Medicare Data by Qualified Entities
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.