Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Feb 23, 2017 | AONE, HRET HIIN webinar March 14 on patient safety
- Feb 21, 2017 | Survey: Most states planning on federal funding for CHIP to continue
- Feb 17, 2017 | CMS awards $100 million to help small practices with Quality Payment Program
- Feb 16, 2017 | CMS delays effective date of certain CJR program changes to March 21
- Feb 16, 2017 | Senate Finance Committee holds confirmation hearing for CMS administrator
- Feb 13, 2017 | Vermont announces Next Generation Medicaid Program
- Feb 10, 2017 | CMS extends deadlines for submitting certain quality reporting data
- Feb 10, 2017 | AHA comments on PACE proposal for people under 55
- Feb 9, 2017 | Federal court blocks Anthem's acquisition of Cigna
- Feb 9, 2017 | AHRQ releases ICU mechanical ventilation safety toolkit
- Feb 02, 2017 | Final Cardiac Care and Expanded Hip/Knee Bundled Payment Programs
- Jan 06, 2017 | The Role of Hospitals in Modernizing Evidence Generation for Device Evaluation
- Oct 06, 2016 | Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center Recognized for Innovative Approach to Reshaping Health Care
- Sep 26, 2016 | Hospital patient safety efforts over past year have improved care for more than 34,000 patients and saved nearly $300 million
- Aug 26, 2016 | AHA to CMS Re: Proposed Rule for Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System CY 2017
- Jul 27, 2016 | CMS Hospital Star Ratings
- Jul 27, 2016 | CMS Releases Hospital Star Ratings
- Jul 08, 2016 | CMS Releases Proposed Rule for CY 2017 Physician Fee Schedule
- Jul 07, 2016 | Hospital organizations urge CMS to address serious concerns about star ratings
- Jul 06, 2016 | Expert Analysis Finds Bias in STAR Rating Methodology
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.