Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Jul 2, 2015 | Report highlights disparities in behavioral health, treatment
- Jun 30, 2015 | IOM panel issues recommendations to improve cardiac arrest survival rates
- Jun 29, 2015 | CMS issues proposed CY 2016 rule for ESRD facilities
- Jun 26, 2015 | CMS responds to AHA concern that Hospital Compare update omitted CAH data
- Jun 26, 2015 | Hospitals encouraged to complete AHA survey on care transitions
- Jun 26, 2015 | HRET patient engagement video wins film festival grand prize
- Jun 25, 2015 | House Appropriations Committee approves HHS funding bill
- Jun 22, 2015 | AHA responds to quality reporting proposals in inpatient psychiatric rule
- Jun 22, 2015 | Study: Many hospitals using core strategies to engage patients and families
- Jun 19, 2015 | CMS: Medicare chronic care model saves $25 million in first performance year
- Jun 25, 2015 | AHA to CMS Re: Missing Data for CAHs in the April 2015 Update of Hospital Compare
- Jun 10, 2015 | Minnesota and Pennsylvania Hospital Associations Recognized for Leadership in Quality Improvement
- May 20, 2015 | Appropriate Use of Medical Resources: Elective Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- May 04, 2015 | Issue Brief: Zeroing in on the Triple Aim
- Apr 29, 2015 | Medicare Inpatient PPS: The Proposed Rule for FY 2016
- Apr 29, 2015 | Medicare Inpatient PPS: The Proposed Rule For FY 2016
- Apr 13, 2015 | Hospital Compare Star Ratings and Other New Hospital Rankings Coming Soon
- Apr 08, 2015 | Hospital groups to CMS re: the National Quality Forum transition of care measures
- Mar 19, 2015 | TrendWatch: Rethinking the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program
- Mar 11, 2015 | Bills Introduced to Improve Medicare Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRRP)
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.