Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Jul 26, 2016 | ASCO releases guidelines for treating chronic pain in cancer survivors
- Jul 25, 2016 | CMS proposes bundled payment models for cardiac and hip fracture care
- Jul 25, 2016 | Bill introduced to delay release of hospital star ratings
- Jul 25, 2016 | AHA expresses support for VA proposed rule on advanced practice RNs
- Jul 22, 2016 | Report, webinar highlight findings from review of GME clinical learning environment
- Jul 21, 2016 | DOJ sues to block health insurance mergers
- Jul 21, 2016 | CMS issues data on national distribution of overall hospital star ratings
- Jul 21, 2016 | Survey looks at hospital readiness to submit eCQMs for inpatient quality reporting
- Jul 20, 2016 | HRSA awards primary care workforce development grants
- Jul 18, 2016 | Agencies alert health care providers to contaminated drug product
- Jul 08, 2016 | CMS Releases Proposed Rule for CY 2017 Physician Fee Schedule
- Jul 07, 2016 | Hospital organizations urge CMS to address serious concerns about star ratings
- Jul 06, 2016 | Expert Analysis Finds Bias in STAR Rating Methodology
- Jun 14, 2016 | Maryland Hospital Association Recognized for Leadership in Quality Improvement
- Apr 28, 2016 | AHA urges reassessment of HCAHPS survey pain questions
- Apr 20, 2016 | CMS Delays release of Hospital Compare Overall Star Ratings
- Apr 20, 2016 | Statement on Delay of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Overall Star Ratings
- Apr 12, 2016 | Verification of Graduate Medical Education
- Apr 11, 2016 | Three days Remain to Get Signatures on Bipartisan House Letter Urging Delay of Star Ratings Release
- Apr 05, 2016 | Bipartisan letters ask CMS to delay release of Hospital Compare Star Ratings until methodology and accuracy are improved
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.