Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the icons below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Dec 19, 2014 | Study: Measures can penalize hospitals for reducing readmissions
- Dec 18, 2014 | CMS releases final FY 2015 HAC data; AHA recommends program changes
- Dec 17, 2014 | Study: Admissions for ambulatory care sensitive conditions declining
- Dec 16, 2014 | CMS awards $665 million in state health care innovation grants
- Dec 11, 2014 | Hospital associations invited to apply for AHA quality leadership award
- Dec 10, 2014 | Study: Hospitals improving both quality and equity of care
- Dec 09, 2014 | House committee examines health care fiscal priorities
- Dec 04, 2014 | FDA finalizes safety guidance for infusion pump makers
- Dec 04, 2014 | HRET recognized for progress toward excellence
- Dec 02, 2014 | HHS reports 17% reduction in hospital-acquired conditions over three years
- Oct 06, 2014 | AHA and others to DEA re: Disposal of Controlled Substances Final Rule published September 9, 2014
- Sep 30, 2014 | CMS Responds to Hospitals' Concerns About New QIO Contractors
- Sep 23, 2014 | DEA Final Rule Expands Opportunities for Drug Disposal
- Aug 14, 2014 | Health Care Resources for Suspected Cases of Ebola Virus Disease
- Aug 05, 2014 | Final Rule with Comment: CLIA Enforcement Changes and Federally Qualified Health Center PPS
- Aug 01, 2014 | AHA Comments on USP Proposed General Chapter <800> Hazardous Drugs - Handling in Healthcare Settings
- Jul 16, 2014 | AHA Before the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Re: Evaluation of Private Sector Best Practice
- Jul 01, 2014 | Appropriate Use of Medical Resources Antimicrobial stewardship
- May 28, 2014 | Revamped Quality Website, Tools to Help You Improve Care
- May 14, 2014 | CMS Proposes to Update Fire Safety Requirements
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.