Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Mar 31, 2015 | SCOTUS limits federal court challenges to state compliance with Medicaid Act
- Mar 27, 2015 | AHA issues framework for working with patient and family advisors
- Mar 25, 2015 | White House kicks off network to spur value-based health care payment
- Mar 24, 2015 | ISMP alerts providers to drug mix-up danger due to packaging
- Mar 23, 2015 | AHA, HRET leaders propose framework for accelerating national quality improvement
- Mar 20, 2015 | CMS, ONC release proposed Stage 3 meaningful use rules
- Mar 20, 2015 | House members to HHS: EHR meaningful use program needs more flexibility now
- Mar 20, 2015 | Study looks at effects of alternative payment models on physicians
- Mar 19, 2015 | SGR bill introduced, payment offsets remain in flux
- Mar 19, 2015 | Hospital leaders urge Congress to protect care
- Mar 19, 2015 | TrendWatch: Rethinking the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program
- Mar 11, 2015 | Bills Introduced to Improve Medicare Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRRP)
- Mar 10, 2015 | Statement on Establishing Beneficiary Equity in the Hospital Readmission Program Act
- Feb 25, 2015 | AHA comments to CMS: Measure selection for Hospital Compare star ratings
- Feb 20, 2015 | AHA Comments Re: CG-CAHPS Patient Experience Survey
- Jan 21, 2015 | AHA Joint Quality Advisory: New Guidance on Humidity Levels in the Operating Room
- Jan 13, 2015 | AHA Comments to MAP Re: Measure Applications Partnership Pre-Rulemaking Draft Report
- Jan 05, 2015 | AHA Letter Regarding Quality Measures
- Oct 06, 2014 | AHA and others to DEA re: Disposal of Controlled Substances Final Rule published September 9, 2014
- Sep 30, 2014 | CMS Responds to Hospitals' Concerns About New QIO Contractors
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.