Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Jun 22, 2016 | AHA voices support for health care cost transparency bill
- Jun 22, 2016 | Senators urge DOJ to challenge Aetna-Humana, Anthem-Cigna mergers
- Jun 22, 2016 | Survey highlights hospitals' progress, opportunities to increase equitable care
- Jun 21, 2016 | HHS announces $20 million for MACRA technical assistance program
- Jun 20, 2016 | AHA comments on FY 2017 proposed rule for IRF PPS
- Jun 20, 2016 | AHA comments on FY 2017 proposed rule for skilled nursing facilities
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA comments on inpatient payment proposals for FY 2017
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA urges CMS to improve LTCH proposed rule
- Jun 16, 2016 | CA insurance commissioner urges DOJ to block Anthem-Cigna merger
- Jun 14, 2016 | Study: 15% of Medicare patients fill new opioid prescription within week of discharge
- Jun 14, 2016 | Maryland Hospital Association Recognized for Leadership in Quality Improvement
- Apr 28, 2016 | AHA urges reassessment of HCAHPS survey pain questions
- Apr 20, 2016 | CMS Delays release of Hospital Compare Overall Star Ratings
- Apr 20, 2016 | Statement on Delay of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Overall Star Ratings
- Apr 12, 2016 | Verification of Graduate Medical Education
- Apr 11, 2016 | Three days Remain to Get Signatures on Bipartisan House Letter Urging Delay of Star Ratings Release
- Apr 05, 2016 | Bipartisan letters ask CMS to delay release of Hospital Compare Star Ratings until methodology and accuracy are improved
- Apr 05, 2016 | Health Organizations Request Delayed Release of Hospital Star Ratings on Hospital Compare Website
- Mar 31, 2016 | Bipartisan letter asks CMS to delay release of Hospital Compare Star Ratings
- Mar 29, 2016 | Preparing for the April Release of Hospital Compare Quality Star Ratings
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.