Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the tabs below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Jul 31, 2015 | CMS issues final FY 2016 inpatient PPS rule
- Jul 31, 2015 | CMS issues final FY 2016 LTCH rule
- Jul 31, 2015 | CMS releases FY 2016 IRF final rule
- Jul 31, 2015 | CMS issues FY 2016 inpatient psychiatric facility final rule
- Jul 31, 2015 | Reminder: CMS testing overall star ratings for hospitals
- Jul 30, 2015 | CMS releases FY 2016 SNF final rule
- Jul 30, 2015 | Bill would create Medicare VBP program for post-acute care
- Jul 30, 2015 | Study: HAC Reduction Program may not accurately measure hospital quality
- Jul 29, 2015 | Study: Medicare inpatient stays, costs down markedly since 1999
- Jul 29, 2015 | CMS issues Q&A on initial ICD-10 claims auditing/quality reporting flexibility
- Jul 29, 2015 | Consumer Reports Publishes New Infection Rate Ratings
- Jul 20, 2015 | Four Hospitals Honored for Commitment to Quality
- Jul 20, 2015 | Medicare Outpatient PPS and ASC Proposed Rule for CY 2016
- Jul 14, 2015 | A Message to Members: New Surgical Ratings Systems Debut
- Jun 25, 2015 | AHA to CMS Re: Missing Data for CAHs in the April 2015 Update of Hospital Compare
- Jun 10, 2015 | Minnesota and Pennsylvania Hospital Associations Recognized for Leadership in Quality Improvement
- May 20, 2015 | Appropriate Use of Medical Resources: Elective Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- May 04, 2015 | Issue Brief: Zeroing in on the Triple Aim
- Apr 29, 2015 | Medicare Inpatient PPS: The Proposed Rule for FY 2016
- Apr 29, 2015 | Medicare Inpatient PPS: The Proposed Rule For FY 2016
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.