Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the icons below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Jan 28, 2015 | Providers urged to print, save certain NHSN data before Jan. 31
- Jan 28, 2015 | CMS webinar tomorrow for hospitals submitting electronic clinical quality data
- Jan 26, 2015 | HHS announces timeline for greater shift to value-based payment in Medicare
- Jan 26, 2015 | AHA calls for more global approach to coverage in House telehealth proposal
- Jan 26, 2015 | AHRQ issues HRET-developed toolkit to prevent dialysis-related infections
- Jan 23, 2015 | Webcast on 2015 AHA Environmental Scan available
- Jan 22, 2015 | AHA testifies at House hearing on permanent SGR fix
- Jan 22, 2015 | CMS adds star ratings to Dialysis Facility Compare
- Jan 20, 2015 | AHA issues case study report on hospital discharge planning tools
- Jan 20, 2015 | Reminder: Hospital associations invited to apply for AHA quality leadership award
- Jan 21, 2015 | AHA Joint Quality Advisory: New Guidance on Humidity Levels in the Operating Room
- Jan 13, 2015 | AHA Comments to MAP Re: Measure Applications Partnership Pre-Rulemaking Draft Report
- Jan 05, 2015 | AHA Letter Regarding Quality Measures
- Oct 06, 2014 | AHA and others to DEA re: Disposal of Controlled Substances Final Rule published September 9, 2014
- Sep 30, 2014 | CMS Responds to Hospitals' Concerns About New QIO Contractors
- Sep 23, 2014 | DEA Final Rule Expands Opportunities for Drug Disposal
- Aug 14, 2014 | Health Care Resources for Suspected Cases of Ebola Virus Disease
- Aug 05, 2014 | Final Rule with Comment: CLIA Enforcement Changes and Federally Qualified Health Center PPS
- Aug 01, 2014 | AHA Comments on USP Proposed General Chapter <800> Hazardous Drugs - Handling in Healthcare Settings
- Jul 16, 2014 | AHA Before the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Re: Evaluation of Private Sector Best Practice
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.