Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the icons below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Apr 17, 2014 | AHA recommends changes to Medicare ACO programs
- Apr 17, 2014 | CMS posts first IPF quality data to Hospital Compare website
- Apr 17, 2014 | Study: Rates for certain diabetes-related complications fall sharply
- Apr 17, 2014 | HRET names first participants in fellowship to prevent CAUTI
- Apr 15, 2014 | CMS revises application request for ESRD payment, care delivery model
- Apr 14, 2014 | AHA urges NQF, CMS to adopt sociodemographic risk adjustment proposal
- Apr 09, 2014 | Study: Community factors key to hospital readmissions variance
- Apr 07, 2014 | AHA launches health care quality leadership forum
- Apr 04, 2014 | MedPAC discusses topics for home health, June reports
- Apr 03, 2014 | FDA issues draft regulatory framework for health IT
- Apr 17, 2014 | Appropriate Use of Medical Resources: Blood Management
- Apr 15, 2014 | CMS Proposes Updates to Fire Safety Requirements for Health Care Facilities
- Apr 14, 2014 | AHA Comments to NQF, CMS on NQF Risk Adjustment and Socioeconomic Status Draft Report
- Mar 26, 2014 | Statement On CDC Hospital Acquired Infection Progress Report
- Mar 20, 2014 | IV Fluid Shortages: Strategies for Conservation
- Mar 13, 2014 | CMS Finalizes Proposal to Phase In New ACA-related Safety Standards
- Mar 05, 2014 | Guiding Principles for Public Reporting of Provider Performance
- Mar 04, 2014 | CDC examines antibiotic stewardship programs
- Feb 05, 2014 | Comment Letter: Revised NPDB Guidebook
- Jan 24, 2014 | AHA Comments to NQF Re: Measure Applications Partnership Pre-Rulemaking Draft Report
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.