Quality and Patient Safety
Delivering the right care at the right time in the right setting is the core mission of hospitals across the country. The AHA is committed to helping members improve the quality of care they deliver every day. We do so by providing information and assistance on how to improve care and by working with federal lawmakers, regulators and research agencies to create a policy environment on which quality and safety can thrive.
Please come back to this site often to see the latest news from the field and updates on AHA policy and advocacy. Click on the icons below to check out the full range of resources available from the many different AHA initiatives addressing improvement in quality and patient safety.
- Feb 27, 2015 | AHE to offer certification program for environmental services technicians
- Feb 26, 2015 | AHA comments on initial proposal for Hospital Compare star ratings
- Feb 25, 2015 | CMS extends certain EHR, quality reporting deadlines for eligible professionals
- Feb 25, 2015 | Hospital leaders can preview new U.S. News ratings for common care
- Feb 23, 2015 | IOM to host March conference on end-of-life care recommendations
- Feb 20, 2015 | CMS issues final rule on notice of benefit and payment parameters for 2016
- Feb 20, 2015 | CMS announces call on standardized post-acute data under IMPACT Act
- Feb 20, 2015 | Nursing Home Compare website launches revised star rating system
- Feb 19, 2015 | FDA issues reprocessing safety recommendations for reusable duodenoscopes
- Feb 13, 2015 | Legislation would extend CHIP funding through 2019
- Feb 25, 2015 | AHA comments to CMS: Measure selection for Hospital Compare star ratings
- Feb 20, 2015 | AHA Comments Re: CG-CAHPS Patient Experience Survey
- Jan 21, 2015 | AHA Joint Quality Advisory: New Guidance on Humidity Levels in the Operating Room
- Jan 13, 2015 | AHA Comments to MAP Re: Measure Applications Partnership Pre-Rulemaking Draft Report
- Jan 05, 2015 | AHA Letter Regarding Quality Measures
- Oct 06, 2014 | AHA and others to DEA re: Disposal of Controlled Substances Final Rule published September 9, 2014
- Sep 30, 2014 | CMS Responds to Hospitals' Concerns About New QIO Contractors
- Sep 23, 2014 | DEA Final Rule Expands Opportunities for Drug Disposal
- Aug 14, 2014 | Health Care Resources for Suspected Cases of Ebola Virus Disease
- Aug 05, 2014 | Final Rule with Comment: CLIA Enforcement Changes and Federally Qualified Health Center PPS
The Health Care Leader Action Guide to Reduce Avoidable Readmissions is a unique guide for hospital leaders that gathers the strategies found in the main interventions for lowering the rate of avoidable readmissions and synthesizes them into one easy-to-use resource. This free, downloadable guide was developed after a collaborative meeting with leaders on the subject. It was funded and produced by the Commonwealth Fund, the John A. Hartford Foundation, and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association. You can download it at www.hret.org/readmissions.