Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) Program
Hospitals are focused on caring for patients. However, hospitals are facing more audits of payment claims, including by recovery audit contractors (RACs), which subject hospitals to additional administrative burden and costly payment denials.
RACs have audited provider claims for the Medicare program nationwide since 2010. The AHA continues to work with government stakeholders to improve the RAC program and prevent abuses that preclude hospitals from receiving payment for necessary medical care. The AHA also provides education to members to help prevent payment denials and navigate the Medicare appeals process in the event of an adverse RAC payment determination.
RAC-related news, resources and educational materials can be found below. To be kept up to date on the latest RAC news, AHA members can join AHA's RAC News Group.
Complete RACTrac survey by July 29
The AHA has extended to July 29 the deadline for all hospitals to submit data to the quarterly RACTrac survey. The free web-based survey helps AHA measure the impact of Medicare's Recovery Audit Contractor program on hospitals and advocate for needed changes. For more information on the RACTrac initiative, visit www.aha.org/RACTrac. To register for the survey or for technical assistance, contact RACTrac support at (888) 722-8712 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RAC News Archive
- Jul 22, 2016 | Hospitals given additional week to complete AHA RACTrac survey
- Jun 17, 2016 | AHA webinar June 28 to review latest RAC survey data, policy updates
- Jun 3, 2016 | AHA survey: 6 in 10 RAC-reviewed claims did not have an overpayment
- May 12, 2016 | CMS pauses QIO two-midnight reviews
- May 3, 2016 | Slavitt: CMS committed to administrative simplification
- Apr 28, 2016 | Reminder: RACTrac survey responses due tomorrow
- Apr 21, 2016 | AHA RACTrac survey deadline extended to April 29
- Apr 13, 2016 | Reminder: Submit data to AHA RACTrac survey by April 22
- Apr 6, 2016 | Hospitals urged to submit data to AHA RACTrac survey by April 22
- Aug 12, 2015 | Statement on Two-Midnight Enforcement Delay Extension
- Jul 22, 2015 | AHA statement before the House Ways & Means Health Subcommittee on MedPAC's policy recommendations
- Jul 20, 2015 | Medicare Outpatient PPS and ASC Proposed Rule for CY 2016
- Jun 02, 2015 | Urge Your Senator to Support Amendments on RAC Provisions in Senate Committee on Finance Proposal
- Jun 01, 2015 | Senate Finance Committee Proposes Changes to Medicare Audits and Appeals
- May 20, 2015 | To Aging Committee: Challenging the Status Quo: Solutions to the Hospital Observation Stay Crisis
- May 13, 2015 | AHA Statement Re: Needed Reforms to the Medicare Appeals and Audits Systems
- May 01, 2015 | New Legislation Provides Much-Needed Reform to the Medicare RAC Program
- May 01, 2015 | AHA-Supported Bill Introduced to Make Needed Changes to RACs
- Mar 31, 2015 | AHA Comments to MedPAC on RACs, Short Inpatient Stays and the 340B Program
Related RAC Resources