Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- Aug 28, 2015 | AHA webinar Sept. 15 on training rural physicians
- Aug 6, 2015 | AHA task force to identify ways to support access to care in vulnerable communities
- Jul 31, 2015 | House members ask FCC to postpone action on new WMTS rules
- Jul 30, 2015 | CMS releases FY 2016 SNF final rule
- Jul 28, 2015 | Hospital leaders urge Congress to support unique needs of rural patients
- Jul 22, 2015 | AHA shares views on MedPAC hospital proposals with House panel
- Jul 2, 2015 | Summer Great Boards newsletter available
- Jun 26, 2015 | House companion to rural therapy services bill introduced
- Jun 26, 2015 | Medicare shared savings model for rural ACOs to accept applications in July
- Jun 26, 2015 | CMS responds to AHA concern that Hospital Compare update omitted CAH data
- July 28, 2015 | Statement of the AHA Before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- July 28, 2015 | Special Bulletin: Summary of AHA's Statement before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- June 24, 2015 | Delay Enforcement of Direct Supervision Requirements and Extend the RCH Demo Program
- May 7, 2015 | AHA Advocacy Update: Rural Health
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- Aug 27, 2015 | AHA Comments to CMS Re: Outpatient PPS-ASC Proposed Rule for CY 2016
- Jul 28, 2015 | AHA Statement before House Ways & Means Health Subcommittee on Rural Health Care