Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- May 24, 2016 | Hospital bill clears committee with HOPD, equity, rural provisions
- May 23, 2016 | AHA voices support for hospital bill's HOPD, equity, rural provisions
- May 17, 2016 | Study: CAH surgical outcomes at least as good as other hospitals
- May 13, 2016 | Study: Few rural Medicare beneficiaries receive telehealth services
- May 4, 2016 | Bill offers permanent relief on direct supervision requirement for some hospitals
- Apr 22, 2016 | CMS extends deadline for Next Generation ACO Model
- Mar 30, 2016 | White House event highlights essential role of rural telehealth
- Mar 28, 2016 | Virginia hospitals provide $2.85 billion in community support
- Mar 18, 2016 | Hospitals bolster Georgia economy, but challenged financially
- Mar 4, 2016 | CMS announces final application round for Next Generation ACO Model
- July 28, 2015 | Statement of the AHA Before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- July 28, 2015 | Special Bulletin: Summary of AHA's Statement before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- June 24, 2015 | Delay Enforcement of Direct Supervision Requirements and Extend the RCH Demo Program
- May 7, 2015 | AHA Advocacy Update: Rural Health
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- May 04, 2016 | AHA to Rep. Loebsack Re: Support for the Rural Hospital Regulatory Relief Act, H.R. 5164
- May 04, 2016 | AHA to Rep. Jenkins Re: Support for the Rural Hospital Regulatory Relief Act, H.R. 5164