Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 54 million people, including 9 million Medicare beneficiaries. Contributing to Medicare payment challenges is a host of significant pressures – largely beyond hospitals’ control. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. In addition, access to capital is poor as the average age of hospital facilities and the demand for expensive new information systems climb.
Rural hospitals face great pressures as government payments decline due to their small size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentage of Medicare patients since rural populations are typically older than average urban populations.
Yet Medicare margins are the lowest for rural hospitals, with the smallest hospitals having the lowest margins. The AHA is committed to advocating for legislation that will address the needs of our vital rural health care system.
Click below to access the Section for Small or Rural Hospitals page, which offers members additional resources, publications, educational opportunities, and professional development.
- Apr 23, 2014 | CDC brief highlights unique needs of rural hospital patients
- Apr 02, 2014 | CMS accepting comments on proposed outpatient supervision changes
- Mar 27, 2014 | CMS to extend EHR attestation for certain Method II EPs
- Mar 26, 2014 | CMS urged to extend documentation deadline for low-volume adjustment
- Mar 24, 2014 | Deadline for low-volume payment adjustment approaching
- Mar 24, 2014 | Reminder: IPPS hospitals can apply through April 1 for EHR hardship exception
- Mar 20, 2014 | CMS finalizes enhanced QHP provider network requirements
- Mar 19, 2014 | Committee leaders propose standardized patient assessment data collection
- Mar 14, 2014 | CMS implements extension of two programs for small, rural hospitals
- Mar 12, 2014 | CMS advised to reduce supervision level for 18 outpatient therapeutic services
- Jan 09, 2014 | AHA Statement to the Committee on Energy and Commerce Re: The Extenders Policies:
- Nov 13, 2013 | AHA Comments to CMS on Laboratory, Rural Health Clinic Proposals
- Sep 26, 2013 | AHA supports Rep. Jenkins' House Resolution 356 in support of rural hospitals and rural providers
- Sep 06, 2013 | AHA to CMS Re: Hospital OPP and ASC Payment Systems and Quality Reporting Programs
- Aug 15, 2013 | OIG Report: Most CAHs Would Not Meet the Location Requirements If Required to Re-enroll in Medicare
- Aug 06, 2013 | Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule for CY 2014
- Jun 28, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Braley Expressing Support for the Rural Hospital Fairness Act
- Jun 13, 2013 | AHA-Supported Bill Introduced to Protect Access to Outpatient Therapeutic Services
- Jun 12, 2013 | AHA To Sen. Moran Expressing Support for The Protecting Access to Rural Therapy Services Act of 2013
- May 23, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Reed Re: Support for H.R.1787, the Rural Hospital Access Act of 2013