Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 54 million people, including 9 million Medicare beneficiaries. Contributing to Medicare payment challenges is a host of significant pressures – largely beyond hospitals’ control. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. In addition, access to capital is poor as the average age of hospital facilities and the demand for expensive new information systems climb.
Rural hospitals face great pressures as government payments decline due to their small size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentage of Medicare patients since rural populations are typically older than average urban populations.
Yet Medicare margins are the lowest for rural hospitals, with the smallest hospitals having the lowest margins. The AHA is committed to advocating for legislation that will address the needs of our vital rural health care system.
Click below to access the Section for Small or Rural Hospitals page, which offers members additional resources, publications, educational opportunities, and professional development.
- Mar 06, 2014 | Rural hospital leaders seek support for key issues from Capitol Hill
- Mar 04, 2014 | White House proposes more than $400 billion in Medicare, Medicaid reductions
- Feb 25, 2014 | Senate bill introduced to remove 96-hour certification requirement for CAHs
- Feb 20, 2014 | CMS extends comment deadline for Emergency Preparedness CoP rule
- Feb 18, 2014 | Direct supervision enforcement moratorium introduced in House
- Feb 11, 2014 | Senate passes bill to extend direct supervision enforcement moratorium
- Feb 11, 2014 | Rural hospital leaders seek support for key issues from Capitol Hill
- Feb 05, 2014 | Bill would remove 96-hour certification requirement for CAHs
- Feb 05, 2014 | CMS proposes provider network requirements for federal exchange plans
- Feb 03, 2014 | CMS to test new integrated care models for CAHs in frontier areas
- Jan 09, 2014 | AHA Statement to the Committee on Energy and Commerce Re: The Extenders Policies:
- Nov 13, 2013 | AHA Comments to CMS on Laboratory, Rural Health Clinic Proposals
- Sep 26, 2013 | AHA supports Rep. Jenkins' House Resolution 356 in support of rural hospitals and rural providers
- Sep 06, 2013 | AHA to CMS Re: Hospital OPP and ASC Payment Systems and Quality Reporting Programs
- Aug 15, 2013 | OIG Report: Most CAHs Would Not Meet the Location Requirements If Required to Re-enroll in Medicare
- Aug 06, 2013 | Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule for CY 2014
- Jun 28, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Braley Expressing Support for the Rural Hospital Fairness Act
- Jun 13, 2013 | AHA-Supported Bill Introduced to Protect Access to Outpatient Therapeutic Services
- Jun 12, 2013 | AHA To Sen. Moran Expressing Support for The Protecting Access to Rural Therapy Services Act of 2013
- May 23, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Reed Re: Support for H.R.1787, the Rural Hospital Access Act of 2013