Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- Feb 5, 2016 | AHA small/rural section names 2016 leaders
- Feb 3, 2016 | Medicare telehealth bill introduced in Congress
- Jan 21, 2016 | Senate votes to extend rural hospital demonstration program
- Jan 14, 2016 | USDA accepting applications for rural telemedicine grants
- Jan 12, 2016 | AHA recommends changes to FCC Healthcare Connect Fund
- Jan 11, 2016 | CMS announces new Medicare ACO participants
- Jan 5, 2016 | AHA comments on proposed discharge planning rule for hospitals, home health
- Jan 4, 2016 | President signs bill extending direct supervision enforcement moratorium through 2015
- Dec 18, 2015 | Congress approves bill funding federal programs through FY 2016
- Dec 16, 2015 | Bill would fund federal programs through FY 2016
- July 28, 2015 | Statement of the AHA Before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- July 28, 2015 | Special Bulletin: Summary of AHA's Statement before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- June 24, 2015 | Delay Enforcement of Direct Supervision Requirements and Extend the RCH Demo Program
- May 7, 2015 | AHA Advocacy Update: Rural Health
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- Feb 05, 2016 | Mary Ellen Pratt, MHA, FACHE, to Chair AHA's Section for Small or Rural Governing Council
- Jan 12, 2016 | AHA to FCC: Comments on the Rural Health Care Program's Healthcare Connect Fund