Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- Mar 2, 2015 | Bill extending Rural Community Hospital Demonstration introduced in Senate
- Feb 26, 2015 | House subcommittees hold hearings on FY 2016 HHS budget
- Feb 26, 2015 | Congress urged to protect hospital care
- Feb 23, 2015 | CMS finalizes QHP provider network requirements for 2016
- Feb 23, 2015 | AHA comments on proposed changes to clinician and group CAHPS survey
- Feb 18, 2015 | HRSA to host webinar for small/rural hospitals on organ donor registration campaign
- Feb 12, 2015 | CHIME to award rural health IT scholarship in honor of AHA leader
- Feb 11, 2015 | AHA, others urge Congress to oppose any further ICD-10 delays
- Feb 10, 2015 | HRSA announces rural health grants to support chronic care coordination
- Feb 9, 2015 | AHA urges court to reject challenge to 340B orphan drug interpretive rule
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- Mar 03, 2015 | Bill Extending Rural Community Hospital Demonstration Introduced in Senate S. 607
- Mar 02, 2015 | Letter to Senate in support of the Rural Community Hospital Demonstration Extension Act of 2015
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Sen. Roberts Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Rep. Welch Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Sen. Schumer Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Rep. Walden Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act