Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 54 million people, including 9 million Medicare beneficiaries. Contributing to Medicare payment challenges is a host of significant pressures – largely beyond hospitals’ control. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. In addition, access to capital is poor as the average age of hospital facilities and the demand for expensive new information systems climb.
Rural hospitals face great pressures as government payments decline due to their small size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentage of Medicare patients since rural populations are typically older than average urban populations.
Yet Medicare margins are the lowest for rural hospitals, with the smallest hospitals having the lowest margins. The AHA is committed to advocating for legislation that will address the needs of our vital rural health care system.
Click below to access the Section for Small or Rural Hospitals page, which offers members additional resources, publications, educational opportunities, and professional development.
- Dec 05, 2013 | Congress urged to extend Medicare rural hospital programs
- Dec 03, 2013 | Hospital leaders urge lawmakers to protect patient care
- Nov 27, 2013 | Kentucky report highlights value of critical access hospitals
- Nov 25, 2013 | Kentucky CEO receives AHA Shirley Ann Munroe Award
- Nov 22, 2013 | AHA urges CMS to begin ICD-10 testing by January
- Nov 14, 2013 | CMS clarifies physician certification requirements for CAHs
- Nov 13, 2013 | AHA comments on laboratory, rural health clinic proposals
- Nov 12, 2013 | CMS holds provider call on 'two-midnight' policy
- Nov 07, 2013 | CMS announces provider calls on 'two-midnight' policy, rural issues
- Nov 06, 2013 | AHA-supported bill would help critical access patients
- Nov 15, 2013 | Building an IT bridge with post-acute providers
- Nov 15, 2013 | Rural, safety net hospitals brace for changes under ACA
- Oct 15, 2013 | Telemedicine: 'If you aren't doing anything now, you're way behind'
- Oct 15, 2013 | HRSA awards grants for rural telehealth services
- Nov 13, 2013 | AHA Comments to CMS on Laboratory, Rural Health Clinic Proposals
- Sep 26, 2013 | AHA supports Rep. Jenkins' House Resolution 356 in support of rural hospitals and rural providers
- Sep 06, 2013 | AHA to CMS Re: Hospital OPP and ASC Payment Systems and Quality Reporting Programs
- Aug 15, 2013 | OIG Report: Most CAHs Would Not Meet the Location Requirements If Required to Re-enroll in Medicare
- Aug 06, 2013 | Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule for CY 2014
- Jun 28, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Braley Expressing Support for the Rural Hospital Fairness Act
- Jun 13, 2013 | AHA-Supported Bill Introduced to Protect Access to Outpatient Therapeutic Services
- Jun 12, 2013 | AHA To Sen. Moran Expressing Support for The Protecting Access to Rural Therapy Services Act of 2013
- May 23, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Reed Re: Support for H.R.1787, the Rural Hospital Access Act of 2013
- May 23, 2013 | AHA to Rep. Welch Re: Support for H.R.1787, The Rural Hospital Access Act of 2013