Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 54 million people, including 9 million Medicare beneficiaries. Contributing to Medicare payment challenges is a host of significant pressures – largely beyond hospitals’ control. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. In addition, access to capital is poor as the average age of hospital facilities and the demand for expensive new information systems climb.
Rural hospitals face great pressures as government payments decline due to their small size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentage of Medicare patients since rural populations are typically older than average urban populations.
Yet Medicare margins are the lowest for rural hospitals, with the smallest hospitals having the lowest margins. The AHA is committed to advocating for legislation that will address the needs of our vital rural health care system.
Click below to access the Section for Small or Rural Hospitals page, which offers members additional resources, publications, educational opportunities, and professional development.
- Oct 30, 2014 | Reminder: Hospitals must respond to CMS appeals settlement offer by Friday
- Oct 28, 2014 | CMS updates FAQ on hospital appeals settlement offer
- Oct 10, 2014 | HRSA awards grants to support rural enrollment in Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Oct 09, 2014 | PhRMA files suit challenging 340B orphan drug discounts
- Oct 09, 2014 | Senators urge CMS rulemaking to better account for rural care needs
- Oct 08, 2014 | OIG recommends changing how CAH outpatient coinsurance is calculated
- Oct 03, 2014 | Deadline extended for letter to CMS regarding rural considerations in rulemaking
- Sep 26, 2014 | HRSA awards $22 million to improve access to care in rural areas
- Sep 19, 2014 | CMS to host Oct. 9 call on appeals settlement offer
- Sep 15, 2014 | OIG: CMS should issue regulations for 'essential-provider' Rural Health Clinics
- Oct 09, 2014 | Senate Dear Colleague to CMS Re: Rulemaking Process and Its Impact on Rural Health Care Providers
- Sep 24, 2014 | Bipartisan letter asks CMS to Consider Rural Providers in Rulemaking Process
- Sep 09, 2014 | Show Your Support for the 340B Program in Conjunction with Sept. 10 AHA-Sponsored Congressional Briefing
- Jul 09, 2014 | Final Rule for Burden Reduction Affecting CoPs/CfCs for Hospitals, CAHs and Other Providers
- Jun 25, 2014 | CMS Implements Extension of Payment Adjustment for Low-Volume and Medicare-Dependent Hospital...
- May 20, 2014 | AHA to Sen. Harkin Re: Support for The Craig Thomas Rural Hospital and Provider Equity Act of 2014
- Jan 09, 2014 | AHA Statement to the Committee on Energy and Commerce Re: The Extenders Policies:
- Nov 13, 2013 | AHA Comments to CMS on Laboratory, Rural Health Clinic Proposals
- Sep 26, 2013 | AHA Supports Rep. Jenkins' House Resolution 356 in support of rural hospitals and rural providers
- Sep 06, 2013 | AHA to CMS Re: Hospital OPP and ASC Payment Systems and Quality Reporting Programs