Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- Apr 21, 2015 | Senate hearing examines telehealth benefits, barriers to expansion
- Apr 15, 2015 | Senate passes legislation to permanently replace SGR
- Apr 6, 2015 | Study: Minimum-distance requirements could harm CAHs, rural communities
- Mar 26, 2015 | House companion to PARTS Act introduced
- Mar 24, 2015 | AHA urges Congress to maintain support for 340B program
- Mar 19, 2015 | Hospital leaders urge Congress to protect care
- Mar 9, 2015 | OIG recommends Medicare pay SNF rates for CAH swing beds
- Mar 9, 2015 | CMS issues guidance on physician quality reporting for CAHs, rural health centers
- Mar 2, 2015 | Bill extending Rural Community Hospital Demonstration introduced in Senate
- Feb 26, 2015 | Congress urged to protect hospital care
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- Mar 26, 2015 | AHA to Rep. Noem Expressing Support for the Protecting Access to Rural Therapy Services Act of 2015
- Mar 03, 2015 | Bill Extending Rural Community Hospital Demonstration Introduced in Senate S. 607
- Mar 02, 2015 | Letter to Senate in support of the Rural Community Hospital Demonstration Extension Act of 2015
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Sen. Roberts Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Sen. Schumer Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act
- Feb 05, 2015 | AHA to Rep. Walden Re: Support for the Medicare Ambulance Access, Fraud Prevention and Reform Act