Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- Jul 2, 2015 | Summer Great Boards newsletter available
- Jun 26, 2015 | House companion to rural therapy services bill introduced
- Jun 26, 2015 | Medicare shared savings model for rural ACOs to accept applications in July
- Jun 26, 2015 | CMS responds to AHA concern that Hospital Compare update omitted CAH data
- Jun 25, 2015 | Senate Appropriations Committee approves HHS funding bill
- Jun 24, 2015 | Committee approves rural hospital, emergency psychiatric care bills
- Jun 23, 2015 | Legislation would create new payment option for rural emergency acute care
- Jun 23, 2015 | Senate subcommittee approves Labor-HHS funding bill
- Jun 16, 2015 | AHA participates in Hill briefing on rural health care needs
- Jun 9, 2015 | Rural hospital leaders urge Congress to provide regulatory relief
- June 24, 2015 | Delay Enforcement of Direct Supervision Requirements and Extend the RCH Demo Program
- May 7, 2015 | AHA Advocacy Update: Rural Health
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- Jun 26, 2015 | AHA to Representative Jenkins in Support of H.R. 2878
- Jun 25, 2015 | AHA to Senator John Thune Expressing Support for S. 1461
- Jun 23, 2015 | AHA to Sen.Charles Grassley Re: Rural Emergency Acute Care Hospital (REACH) Act
- May 07, 2015 | AHA Statement on Rural Health