Rural Health Care
Rural hospitals provide essential health care services to nearly 51 million people. Because of their size, modest assets and financial reserves, and higher percentages of Medicare patients, small and rural hospitals disproportionately rely on government payments.
Medicare payment systems often fail to recognize the unique circumstances of small or rural hospitals. A sustained workforce shortage and rising health care liability premiums continue to drive costs higher. The average age of hospital facilities begs improvement and the demand for expensive new information systems climbs, yet access to capital financing is very limited.
With the continuing search by Congress for savings to offset spending, small and rural health care providers are in continual jeopardy of further cuts.
- Nov 19, 2015 | Congress urged to continue commitment to rural hospitals
- Nov 17, 2015 | AHA urges CMS to revise documentation requirement for CAH necessary providers
- Nov 17, 2015 | CMS announces funding to enroll children in Medicaid/CHIP
- Nov 13, 2015 | President urged to fully fund Children's hospitals GME in FY 2017
- Nov 11, 2015 | Study: 75% of hospitals have at least a basic EHR
- Nov 3, 2015 | AHA expresses support for supervision bill, concerns with Medicaid bills
- Oct 16, 2015 | HRSA awards $240 million for primary care programs serving shortage areas
- Oct 15, 2015 | AHA 'very disappointed' with court's ruling in 340B orphan drug case
- Oct 14, 2015 | CMS to host webinar on Physician Quality Reporting System for Method II CAHs
- Oct 9, 2015 | MedPAC discusses policy options to preserve emergency care in rural areas
- July 28, 2015 | Statement of the AHA Before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- July 28, 2015 | Special Bulletin: Summary of AHA's Statement before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means of the U.S. House of Representatives
- June 24, 2015 | Delay Enforcement of Direct Supervision Requirements and Extend the RCH Demo Program
- May 7, 2015 | AHA Advocacy Update: Rural Health
- January 8, 2015 | H.R. 169 Will Remove Physician Certification of 96-Hour Stay as a Condition of Payment for CAHs
- January 26, 2015 | A Letter to Rep. Upton: Discussion Draft of Legislation on Advancing Telehealth Opportunities in Medicare
- January 27, 2015 | Senate Introduces Bill to Protect Access to Rural Therapy Services S. 257
- January 30, 2015 | CMS Requests Data on Location and Distance from CAHs
- Nov 19, 2015 | AHA to Sens. Pat Roberts, Al Franken Re: National Rural Health Day
- Nov 03, 2015 | AHA to Reps. Joseph Pitts and Gene Green Re: Support for H.R. 2878