Your certification is valid for three years.
You have two options to renew your certification.
Option 1: Document participation in approved continuing professional education. This option is available to certificants with valid certifications.
- Demonstrate participation in 45 contact hours of continuing professional education in categories identified in the Examination content outline since initial certification or most recent renewal;
- Attest to adherence to Professional Standards of Conduct; and
- Pay the renewal fee of $135 for a member of an AHA Personal Membership Group or $175 for a nonmember.
Complete and send a Renewal Application at least 4 weeks before your expiration date. The Renewal Applications are available to download as pdfs.
Option 2: Retake and pass the Certification Examination. This option is available to certificants with valid or expired certifications.
- Pass the Certification Examination within one year prior to expiration of certification (subject to usual fees and provisions for testing); and
- Attest to adherence to Professional Standards of Conduct.
Is it important to renew?
Yes. A certificant who fails to renew certification is no longer considered certified and must cease using the certification credential and merchandise representative of having achieved certification.