Self-Assessment Examinations (SAE)
Developed by the AHA Certification Center (AHA-CC) using the same procedures to develop the certification exams, the Self Assessment Examination (SAE) is an online tool that can help candidates prepare for the certification exam. It can serve as a diagnostic tool to assess strengths and areas for improvement in the content areas covered on the exam. Other practitioners may find the tool useful for professional development purposes.
The SAE practice test parallels the format, content, and difficulty of the certification exam. The SAE is based on the same content outline as the corresponding certification exam. The added benefit of the SAE is the rationale provided for each potential response to a question. While the actual exam contains 100 scored multiple-choice items and additional unscored pre-test items, the SAE contains 100 items.
To see some sample SAE questions, click below:
The SAE is not a pre-requisite to take the certification exam and is not intended to be a substitute for studying for the exam or the required professional experience. It should not be inferred that performance on the SAE will replicate performance on the actual exam.
To purchase an SAE by credit card, click here. The fee to a member of AHA Professional Membership Group (PMG) is $115 and to non-members it is $200. If you need information about your membership status or your membership number, please contact the Member Services Center at 312-422-2765.
- After you have successfully placed your order for the SAE, you will receive an e-mail with specific instructions on how to access and complete the SAE. You will have unlimited online access to the SAE for up to 90 days from the date of purchase or until you complete the SAE and submit it to be scored, whichever occurs first.
- Once you select Finish and Display Results, you will receive the following reports via e-mail. You may print these reports and use them as a resource and for continued preparation for the exam.
• Score Report - Indicates the number of questions you answered correctly within each content area as well as your selected response to each question.
• Feedback Report - Lists each item and explanation for each option on the exam, the option you selected, and the correct answer.
- NOTE: Purchase of the SAE is intended for single person use by the person who purchased the SAE.
- Current certificants who complete an SAE earn five (5) contact hours toward the certification renewal requirements. It must be reported on the Certification Renewal Application and when requested, submit the SAE Score Report which serves as proof of completion.