Statement On FMAP Extension
Elizabeth Lietz - (202) 626-2284
Matthew Fenwick - (312) 422-2820
Executive Vice President
American Hospital Association
August 10, 2010
Today's extension of the federal assistance for state Medicaid programs – or FMAP – provides critical relief to states that are struggling to ensure access to care for low-income families and individuals. Given these challenging economic times, Medicaid is forced to play an even greater role as the health care safety net for our poor and vulnerable citizens. That's why these federal matching funds become even more essential to hospitals in fulfilling their mission of caring for patients and communities. This funding comes at a crucial time when state budgets are in the red and more people are losing their health care coverage.
We applaud Congress and the Administration's action to help protect the health care safety net.
The AHA is a not-for-profit association of health care provider organizations and individuals that are committed to the improvement of health in their communities. The AHA is the national advocate for its members, which includes more than 5,000 member hospitals, health systems and other health care organizations, and 38,000 individual members. Founded in 1898, the AHA provides education for health care leaders and is a source of information on health care issues and trends.
- AHA News Now: ASHE names 2014 Excellence in Health Care Facility Management winner
- AHA News Now: CDC issues dialysis guidance for hospital patients with Ebola
- AHA News Now: CMS call Wednesday on IRF quality reporting program
- AHA News Now: Dallas hospital shares 'lessons learned' on Ebola
- AHA News Now: Dallas nurse free of Ebola, released from hospital