Statement on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Opioid Prescribing Guidelines
President and CEO
American Hospital Association
March 15, 2016
Too many families have experienced devastating loss due to a loved one’s addiction to opioids. That’s why the need for sound clinical guidance is urgent and we appreciate the CDC’s leadership on this critical public health issue. The more we can do at every turn to help patients with safe, effective pain management – which could include the proper use of opioids – the better we can stem the tide of the opioid abuse epidemic. The AHA strongly supports this new guidance and will share it with all hospitals to ensure appropriate strategies are used to help manage pain and minimize the risk of addiction.
About the AHA
The AHA is a not-for-profit association of health care provider organizations and individuals that are committed to the health improvement of their communities. The AHA is the national advocate for its members, which include nearly 5,000 hospitals, health care systems, networks, other providers of care and 43,000 individual members. Founded in 1898, the AHA provides education for health care leaders and is a source of information on health care issues and trends. For more information, visit the AHA website at www.aha.org.
- AHA files brief in FCA case involving retrospective review of medical judgments
- HHS reports on consumer choice, premiums in 2017 Marketplace
- Network reports on health plan adoption of alternative payment models
- ASHE recognizes New York hospital for excellence in facility management
- AHA comments on draft 2017 Interoperability Standards Advisory