Resources and helpful links related to Mental Health Parity.
Mental Health Parity & Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA)
- Parity Toolkit for Addiction & Mental Health Consumers, Providers & Advocates.
- Report Concerns with Health Plan Implementation of MHPAEA to the Parity Implementation Coalition.
- Mental health and substance abuse treatment services parity is the first blog topic for Ask SAMHSA
- "Self-Compliance Tool" Resource for health plans and employers.
- Summary Interim Final Rule: Implementing MHPAEA (2/18/10)
- Interim Final Rule: MHPAEA
- On September 2nd the 2010 Employer Health Benefits Survey was released by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET). The full report and summary of findings from the annual survey of small and large employers will be available today at www.kff.org/insurance/8085/index.cfm. Of note, the survey found that in response to the 2008 Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, 31 percent of firms with more than 50 workers made changes to the mental health benefits they offer. Most of this group eliminated limits on coverage to comply with the law, though a small share (5 percent) dropped mental health coverage altogether.
- The Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) issued guidance on the classification of outpatient benefits stating they will not take enforcement action against any insurer that distinguishes between office visits and all other outpatient services while they complete final regulations on the law
- Mental Health America recently presented webinars on five key advocacy issues—Health Reform; State Budget Advocacy; Access to Medications; Criminal Justice; and Parity—to help you navigate emerging trends and the impact of federal legislation. You can listen to recordings of the webinars and review the powerpoints and the toolkits we have produced on these key issues by clicking on the above links.
- Beyond Parity: Primary Care Physicians' Perspectives On Access To Mental Health Care (4/14/09)
- An Employer's Guide to Behavioral Health Services (May 2006)
The Mental Health Parity & Addition Equity Act
- MHPAEA of 2008
- Department of Labor Fact Sheet on MHPAEA
- Department of Labor FAQs about MHPAEA
- CMS guidance and resources on MHPAEA
- On June 21, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia issued its opinion dismissing a lawsuit filed by the Coalition for Parity, Inc., regarding regulationsimplementing the federal mental health and substance use parity law. The managed care companies in the coalition filing the lawsuit (including Magellan and ValueOptions) argued that the government did not follow its own rules (known as the Administrative Procedure Act) in issuing the interim final parity regulations. The court did not agree, and dismissed the case. Although this does not guarantee that the managed care companies will not bring further litigation, the decision signals that the regulations will go into effect as planned for health plan years beginning on or after July 1, 2010.
- AHA Talking Points: Mental Health Parity Act of 2007 (02/12/07)
- Senate Bill 558: Senator Paul Wellstone Mental Health Parity Act of 2007 (02/12/07)
- The Coalition for Fairness in Mental Illness Coverage Press Release: Fairness Coalition Applauds Senate Introduction of Mental Health Parity Bill (02/12/07)
- Mental Health Parity Law of 1996
- U. S. Department of Labor FAQs for the Mental Health Parity Law of 1996