The Senate is expect to soon consider bipartisan legislation introduced last week by Sens. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, that would prevent the 2% across-the-board cut to all Medicare payments, known as sequestration, from taking effect during the COVID-19 public health emergency. The AHA is asking its members to immediately help muster support in the Senate — particularly among Republicans — for the Medicare Sequester Relief Act (S. 748). New analysis prepared by Kaufman, Hall & Associates, LLC and released March 23 reinforces why additional support is necessary as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to threaten hospitals’ and healthy systems’ financial stability and their ability to continue to provide essential services to their patients and communities. Sixty votes will be needed to pass the bill in the Senate. Please let your senators know now is not the time for Medicare cuts to hospitals and health systems.
Call, tweet, or send an email to your members of Congress
We’ve made it easy for you to send messages – via email, phone and Twitter – to your senators. View our sample messages that you can personalize for your lawmakers.
Advocate via social media
AHA crafted messages and graphics for you to use across your organization’s social media platforms. Remember to tag your members of Congress and @AHAadvocacy and use #SupportHospitals in all your messages.
Latest Action Alert
- FACT SHEET: Accelerated Payment Relief for All Hospitals
- FACT SHEET: Medicare Sequester Relief Needed for Health Providers During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- FACT SHEET: Hospitals Face Continued Financial Challenges One Year into the COVID-19 Pandemic
- LETTER: AHA, Other Health Care Provider Groups Urge Senate to Extend Relief From Medicare Sequester
- SPECIAL BULLETIN: House Passes Bill that Would Extend Moratorium on 2% Medicare Sequester Cuts Through End of 2021
- SPECIAL BULLETIN: Bill Introduced that Would Extend Moratorium on 2% Medicare Sequester Cuts