The House Energy and Commerce Committee tomorrow will mark-up various legislation addressing the opioid abuse epidemic. As hospitals see firsthand the effects of the opioid abuse epidemic on patients, families and communities, the AHA today sent a letter to Representatives Fred Upton and Frank Pallone, the committee’s chairman and ranking member, urging approval of the:
- Examining Opioid Treatment Infrastructure Act of 2016
- Co-Prescribing to Reduce Overdoses Act of 2015
- Improving Treatment for Pregnant and Postpartum Women Act of 2015
- Nurturing and Supporting Healthy Babies Act
- Reducing Unused Medications Act
- Opioid Review Modernization Act
Hospitals’ experience shows that a multi-stakeholder, multifaceted approach is needed to truly stop this epidemic. The legislation being considered by the Energy and Commerce Committee is a step forward in tackling this issue. More information on AHA’s efforts to help hospitals address opioid abuse is available at aha.org.