The Food and Drug Administration today announced the widely anticipated expansion of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine emergency use authorization to allow booster doses for 16- and 17-year-olds. The FDA said boosters for this age group should be administered at least six months following the completion of an initial two-dose regiment. Following FDA’s decision, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention formally recommended boosters for this age group. 

“We know that COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective, and I strongly encourage adolescents ages 16 and 17 to get their booster if they are at least 6 months post their initial Pfizer vaccination series,” said CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, M.D.
 

Related News Articles

Headline
Respiratory illness activity remains high across the country, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Seasonal flu…
Headline
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Jan. 13 announced that it terminated efforts to establish a final COVID-19 safety standard to protect workers…
Headline
The Department of Health and Human Services Dec. 10 amended the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act declaration for COVID-19, extending liability…
Headline
AHA's latest social media toolkit for encouraging vaccination against the flu and COVID-19 provides fall-themed social media posts and graphics. Download the…
Headline
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week endorsed a recommendation for people aged 65 and older and for immunocompromised individuals to…
Headline
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Oct. 22 released final guidance detailing reporting requirements for the hospital respiratory data condition…