Following yesterday’s announcement of changes to its process for collecting daily COVID-19-reated data from hospitals, the Department of Health and Human Services today asked hospitals to prioritize the reporting of seven data fields starting tomorrow, July 15:
- Previous day's new adult admissions for confirmed COVID-19
- Previous day's new adult admissions for suspected COVID-19
- Total adults hospitalized for COVID - suspected and confirmed
- Total hospitalized for COVID - confirmed only
- Total adults in ICU with COVID - suspected and confirmed
- Total adults in ICU with COVID - confirmed
- Remdesivir doses (field will be available by 7/15)
In an email sent to registered users of its TeleTracking portal, HHS states it is prioritizing these seven fields because they inform the agency’s distribution of remdesivir. Going forward, HHS will pull a week’s worth of data each Wednesday to inform its remdesivir distribution efforts. HHS states that remdesivir distributions will not be calculated correctly if data from each day are not reported.
While HHS has prioritized the collection of the seven data fields above for this week, the agency notes that it intends to use all of the data fields from hospital daily reporting for various resource allocations. HHS asks hospitals to begin reporting all of the data fields included in yesterday’s guidance on hospital reporting by no later than Wednesday, July 22.