The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Jan. 13 announced that it terminated efforts to establish a final COVID-19 safety standard to protect workers in health care settings. The agency said it halted its efforts due to the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency, adding that any ongoing risk of COVID-19 faced by health care workers would be better addressed in an OSHA rulemaking effort that addresses infectious diseases more broadly. 

The AHA previously urged OSHA not to finalize the rule, saying it was unnecessary and would cause confusion.

Related News Articles

Headline
The South Carolina measles outbreak has grown to 950 cases, the state’s Department of Public Health reported Feb. 13. Of those, 246 cases are under age 5, 611…
Headline
There are 933 cases in the South Carolina measles outbreak, the state’s Department of Public Health reported Feb. 10. Of those, 859 cases are unvaccinated, 20…
Headline
The measles outbreak in South Carolina has increased to 876 cases, the state’s Department of Public Health reported Feb. 3. Last week, the South Carolina…
Headline
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released its annual progress report on health care-associated infections Jan. 29, which found continued…
Headline
The South Carolina Department of Public Health announced Jan. 30 that the state’s measles outbreak now has 847 cases. The agency said most cases are close…
Headline
(Updated Jan. 23) A measles outbreak in South Carolina has reached 700 cases, the state’s Department of Public Health reported. The outbreak, initially…