Understanding High-Value Care
- Building High-Value Care Bridges: In this presentation, Dr. Chris Moriates, Assistant Dean for Health Care Value – a first of its kind position at a medical school – describes emerging work at Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin and around the country to teach and engage trainees in health care value. Dr. Moriates highlights the importance of bridging educational and clinical environments and creating a high-value care culture. He introduces the brand new interactive and adaptive Dell Med Value-Based Health Care (VBHC) modules, which are freely available online for learners of all levels. Additionally, he describes tools developed at other institutions to integrate VBHC into training environments and to engage trainees in value improvement activities.
- Discovering Value-Based Health Care: Dell Medical School Discovering High-Value Care learning modules. A series of interactive learning modules to understand the concepts of value-based care.
- Bringing Value Into Focus: The University of Utah conducted a survey to understand how physicians, patients and employers define value in health care.
- Applying the "COST" (Culture, Oversight, Systems Change, and Training) Framework to De-adopt the Neutropenic Diet: https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(18)30789-7/abstract
High-Value Care Culture Domains and Survey
Similar to widely-used patient safety culture surveys, this survey uses domains that contribute to a high-value care culture. It may be used by healthcare groups to identify target areas for improvements and to monitor the effects of high-value care initiatives.
- Domains: http://www.highvaluecareculturesurvey.com/four-domains/
- Survey: http://www.highvaluecareculturesurvey.com/using-the-survey/
- Additional Resources: http://www.highvaluecareculturesurvey.com/articles-and-resources/
Understanding Appropriate Use
- Choosing Wisely: Where Should I Start? http://www.choosingwisely.org/where-should-i-start/
- Choosing Wisely: Clinician Lists: http://www.choosingwisely.org/clinician-lists/
- Choosing Wisely: Top 12 Interventions that are reducing overuse http://www.choosingwisely.org/resources/updates-from-the-field/the-top-12-recommendations-that-are-reducing-overuse/
- AHA: Appropriate Use of Medical Resources: https://www.aha.org/appropriate-use
- American College of Physicians High-Value Care Cases: https://www.acponline.org/clinical-information/high-value-care/resources-for-clinicians/high-value-care-cases
Teamwork and Project Management Resources
How to design a team charter using a design canvas: http://designabetterbusiness.com/toolbox/#/tools/teamcharter
Using design thinking to address problem solving: http://diytoolkit.org/tools/problem-definition-2/
Tools for understanding how to work well as a team: https://www.aha.org/teamtraining
- Project Tracking Tools
- Tools to Assess Workflow
Additional Resource Articles
- Empowering Physicians to Become Stewards: At Texas hospitals, care providers are receiving transparency into real-time cost, and patient risk, allowing them to play a leading role in ensuring their organizations deliver high-quality care with a focus on value above volume.
- Choosing Wisely Studies on interventions Does Choosing Wisely work: http://www.choosingwisely.org/getting-started/resource-library/does-choosing-wisely-work/
- Adaptive Leadership: https://cambridge-leadership.com/documents/Ch-2-Theory-Behind-the-Practice.pdf
- Behavioral Economics: https://catalyst.nejm.org/nudge-unit-improve-health-care-delivery/
- Value-Based Insurance Design: Potential Strategy for Lower Costs, Increased Quality: http://www.healthcarevaluehub.org/advocate-resources/publications/value-based-insurance-design-potential-strategy-lower-costs-increased-quality/
- High Value Practice Academic Alliance: http://hvpaa.org/
- UCSF "Think Twice, Stick Once" Program
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVrjyULxc4
- Blog: https://thehospitalleader.org/mourning-the-morning-lab-2/
- HealthLeaders article about the program: https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/welcome-ad?toURL=/clinical-care/doctors-stop-sticking-your-patients-so-often
- JAMA IM article about the program and program evaluation: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2511322