Put it in writing Key Links - resources for advance directives
Advance Directives by State
- The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization offers free, state specific advance directives and advice for communicating wishes to family and close friends.
- Caring Connections offers free, state-specific advance directives for all 50 states and DC that meet the legal requirements for each state.
Consumer Tools - Toolkits/Workbooks for Health Care Advance Planning
- The American Bar Association has developed a variety of self-help worksheets, suggestions and resources that prompt a continuing conversation about values, priorities, the meaning of one's life, quality of life and what's important.
- The Center for Practical Bioethics' Caring Conversations workbook was designed to help individuals and families communicate with each other about their healthcare preferences and contains advance directive documents. These forms are valid in every state when notarized and signed by two witnesses.
Advance Directive Samples
- Aging with Dignity's Five Wishes document is an example of an easy to read and use advance directive, a template for recording one's medical treatment and preferences.
- The Institute for Healthcare Advancement has made downloadable versions of the California Advance Health Care Directive available in several languages including Spanish and Chinese.
- Alzheimer's Association Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregiver Center
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American College of Physicians
- American Health Information Management Association/myPHR site
- American Nurses Association
- American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Center to Advance Palliative Care
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Society for Healthcare Consumer Advocacy
Alabama Hospital Association
California Hospital Association
Colorado Hospital Association
Connecticut Hospital Association
Louisiana Hospital Association
Maine Hospital Association
New Hampshire Hospital Association
Ohio Hospital Association
The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania
Texas Hospital Association
Washington State Hospital Association