By Gene Woods
Now that our calendars are turned to December and 2018 is drawing closer, working together to advance health in America is more critical than ever. The AHA recently released the 2018 Environmental Scan, to highlight trends in health care for 2018 and beyond.
The Scan focuses on several areas:
- Access – coverage, workforce, affordability and behavioral health
- Value – health care transformation and care models focused on populations, which improve quality of care at a lower cost
- Partners – embracing the diversity of individuals and serving as partners in their health
- Well-being – a focus on wellness using community resources
- Coordination – seamless care propelled by teams, technology, data and innovation
Your team can use the Environmental Scan to assess and address trends in your area and develop strategies and initiatives tailored to your patients’ and community’s needs. I encourage you to work with your state or regional hospital association, as well as local organizations and national partners, to address these issues and improve access, value and person-centered care for all in your community.
Uncertainties in health care continue to loom ahead, but the AHA is committed to helping you identify and implement innovative solutions and develop partnerships and new models of care so that you can effectively respond to change, challenges and opportunities.
Your commitment, work and leadership make a difference in the lives of patients and their families every day and help to ensure everyone has the opportunity to reach their highest potential for health.