This guide serves to explore the concept of cultural competency and build the case for the enhancement of cultural competency in health care. It is recommended that hospital leaders undertake the following seven tasks within their organizations and answer self- assessment questions in several categories:
- Collect race, ethnicity and language preference (REAL) data.
- Identify and report disparities.
- Provide culturally and linguistically competent care.
- Develop culturally competent disease management programs.
- Increase diversity and minority workforce pipelines.
- Involve the community.
- Make cultural competency an institutional priority.