Ideas, insights and resources to inspire opioid stewardship.
The use and misuse of opiate-based prescription, synthetic and illicit drugs, are a major public health concern. In 2021, 107,622 lives were lost in the United States due to a drug overdose. This is an average of nearly 295 people per day. Of this total, approximately 66% of overdose deaths were attributable to opioids. In addition to deaths, the devastating consequences of the opioid epidemic include the rising incidence of newborns experiencing withdrawal syndrome due to opioid use and misuse during pregnancy.
The resources on this webpage illustrate how hospitals and health systems are working to “Stem the Tide” of the opioid epidemic – but much work remains.
Stem the Tide
This toolkit provides guidance and information to hospitals and health systems on how they can partner with patients, clinicians and communities to address the opioid epidemic (2017).
The Opioid Stewardship Measurement Implementation Guide (2020) includes best opportunities for driving improvements in opioid stewardship within their organization and community.
Explore solutions for
- Blog: Today not Tomorrow: It’s Time for Opioid Stewardship, AHA 5/2021
- News: Hospitals, others can apply for substance use disorder screening grants, AHA 03/2021
- News: DEA expands access to MAT, issues proposed rule on drug diversion, AHA 11/2020
- News: HHS Awards $25 Million to combat rural opioid crisis, AHA 9/2020
- News: Congress urged to consider value-based addiction recovery services payment, AHA 02/2020
- News: Website helps Americans locate substance use disorder treatment, AHA 10/2019
- Press Release: More than Half of People who Misuse Prescription Opioids also Binge Drink, CDC 6/2019
- Article: The SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act, AHA 10/2018
- Chair File: Understanding and Treating Substance Use Disorders, AHA 4/2018
- Issue Brief: AHA Priorities to Address the Opioid Crisis, AHA 3/2018
Patient and Family Caregiver Education and Engagement
- Article: Prescription Opioids: What You Need to Know, 2/2020
- Article: The Health Workforce Delivering Evidence-Based Non-Pharmacological Pain Management, 2/2020
- White Paper: Partnering with Patients and Families to Strengthen Approaches to the Opioid Epidemic, Institute for Patient- and Family- Centered Care 6/2018
- Fact Sheet: Prescription Opioids: What You Need to Know, AHA CDC 2/2018
- Article: Addressing the Prescription Opioid Crisis: Advancing Provider Education and Collaborating with All Stakeholders, NEJM Catalyst 11/2017