Implications for the coming year and beyond
The 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has reshaped the health care environment. The 2022 AHA Environmental Scan details data and trends that have implications for the health care field for the coming year and beyond. The scan will help your staff, leaders and board strategize and plan for the future.
The pandemic has had a profound impact on all of the topics included in the 2022 Environmental Scan:
- Hospital and health system landscape: Financial challenges, volumes and utilization, the supply chain and the national economic landscape.
- Co-existing with COVID-19: COVID-19 infection and after-effects, hospitalization, vaccination, life expectancy and cost.
- Workforce: Resiliency, shortages, employment trends and the future of work.
- Health equity: COVID-19 disparities, digital health equity, rural health, social determinants of health and maternal health.
- Behavioral health: The pandemic’s impact on mental health and substance misuse.
- Access and affordability: Coverage and affordability to the consumer, employers and employees.
- Innovation and delivery transformation: Telehealth, technology, cybersecurity and delivery and payment models.
The 2022 Environmental Scan is sponsored by B.E. Smith.
An AHA member-only PowerPoint presentation is designed to help share 2022 Environmental Scan insights with various stakeholders and your community.
The AHA Transformation Talks video series is designed to help hospitals and health systems determine which direction the field may be heading and how to prepare. These short videos cover a variety of topics and connect you with health care thought leaders as they discuss how to navigate business-critical challenges and potential new solutions.
The AHA’s Society for Health Care Strategy & Market Development (SHSMD) offers a deep dive into key forces that are transforming the future of health care through Futurescan 2022-2027. An essential resource for strategic planning, this publication presents articles highlighting the insights of thought leaders on eight key trends and how they are being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and other important factors.
The 2023 AHA Health Care Workforce Scan will help you better understand the latest forces and trends affecting health care human resources. This resource provides workforce insights to guide your organization forward during this time of uncertainty and continued transformation.