About Project TRANSFORM
Prisma health-Upstate, University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Greenville and Clemson University School of Nursing have developed Project TRANSFORM (Teaching Recovery-informed Addiction Care and Negating Stigma FOR Medical Professionals) to provide training for professionals on healthcare teams who in the course of their roles may serve individuals and families affected by substance use disorder. The module-type educational pedagogy includes review of sensitivity to the unique needs of those affected, information on various substances of use, clinical considerations, and supportive intervention strategies for healthcare professionals. The project goal is to expand the number of practitioners to deliver high-quality, evidence-based substance use disorder treatment. Each module consists of an educational voiceover PowerPoint lecture and is followed by brief videos featuring interviews with individuals in recovery and who share their experiences in addiction and their journey to recovery. This innovative approach of integrating the medical knowledge with lived experience education provided by individuals living with addiction and in recovery will result in an educated, compassionate, and involved healthcare workforce addressing substance use disorder.
Information on implementation
Content of Modules
The following components are included in each module:
- A pre and posttest to assess student knowledge/learning and prepare students for certification type questions on the topic.
- National experts present the educational content including information about screening for the substance, treatment considerations and clinical implications
- A video(s) of persons with lived experiences present their stories about the use of the substance.
- A posttest to assess student knowledge/learning.
Sequencing of the Modules
After completion of that module, modules may be assigned in any order.
Ways to Integrate the Modules into Curriculum
Modules may be used:
- In class as part of the lecture. (Please contact Margie Stevens for those instructions firstname.lastname@example.org)
- On-line presentation to students as a lecture series. (virtual learning)
- Assigned to students as modules to complete outside of the classroom with group discussion to follow (flipped classroom)
- Supplementary material for required or elective class
Instructions for accessing the course
Below are instructions you may distribute to your students to access the Project TRANSFORM modules. If you as the instructor/professor would like to preview the modules, please feel free to use the directions below for yourself. Note: you do not need to complete the pre/post-training survey. Simply click on the next button to go to the next part of the module. If you will be using your own learning management system (LMS), such as Canvas, Blackboard, etc., you may place the instructions below on a page within your LMS or simply email the directions below to your students.