The Institute for Diversity and Health Equity (Institute), an affiliate of the American Hospital Association (AHA), today announced its 2018 chair of its board of directors, Nicholas Tejeda, and newly-elected board members with terms beginning Jan. 1, 2018. This year, Institute membership has grown significantly with the addition of all AHA-member organizations, a reflection of diversity and inclusion issues becoming part of core AHA benefits. Fee-based membership categories remain available to other organizations and individuals. The board, made up of diverse health care leaders, oversee Institute work which supports the field’s efforts to accelerate health care diversity, inclusion and equity.
Nicholas Tejeda is the chief executive officer at The Hospitals of Providence Transmountain Campus located in El Paso, Texas. The Hospitals of Providence Transmountain Campus is a new teaching hospital that opened in early 2017. This facility, owned by Tenet Healthcare, represents a unique partnership with Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso (TTUHSC). The hospital is a part of The Hospitals of Providence health network, which has provided advanced health care services to El Paso and the outlying communities of west Texas, southern New Mexico and northern Mexico for more than 100 years. Tejeda also serves as adjunct assistant professor with the TTUHSC Gayle Greve Hunt School of Nursing.
In his previous role, Tejeda served as CEO at The Hospitals of Providence East Campus in El Paso, Texas, a part of the Tenet Healthcare system. Prior appointments include CEO at Doctors Hospital of Manteca (CA), chief operating officer at Twin Cities Community Hospital in Templeton, CA, and vice president of hospital operations at Saint Mary’s Medical Center in Reno, NV.
In addition, the Institute welcomes new members elected to serve on the Institute’s board for three-year terms:
- Bruce Bailey, president and chief executive officer, Tidelands Health, Georgetown, SC;
- Andres Gonzalez, vice president, chief diversity officer, Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI;
- Terika Richardson, president, Advocate Trinity Hospital, Chicago, IL;
- Richelle Webb Dixon, president, National Association of Health Services Executives, Houston, TX; and
- Joe Wilkins, senior vice president and chief transformation officer, Atlantic Health System, Morristown, NJ.
Returning board members are:
- Chief Stephen R. Adkins, principal chief, Chickahominy Tribe, chief deputy director, VA Department. of Human Resource Management, Charles City, VA;
- Deborah J. Bowen, president and CEO, American College of Healthcare Executives, Chicago, IL;
- Andrew Carter, president and CEO, Hospital and Health System of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA;
- Peggy Harris, associate vice president, Office of Diversity & Inclusion, Carolinas HealthCare System, Charlotte, NC;
- Suzanne B. Jackson, vice president, Operations, Urgent Care Physician Services Group, HCA, Coppell, TX;
- Ramanathan Raju, M.D., senior vice president and community health officer, Northwell Health, Staten Island, NY;
- Michael Rodgers, senior vice president, Advocacy and Public Policy, The Catholic Health Association, Washington, DC;
- Ninfa M. Saunders, president and CEO, Navicent Health, Macon, GA;
- Juana Spears Slade, director, Diversity and Language Services, AnMed Health, Anderson, SC;
- David A. Tam, M.D., chief operating officer, Providence St. John’s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA;
- John H. Vassall II, M.D., physician executive for quality and safety Qualis Health, Seattle, WA; and
- Kimberlydawn Wisdom, M.D., senior vice president, Community Health & Equity and chief wellness & diversity officer, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI.
About the Institute for Diversity and Health Equity
The Institute for Diversity and Health Equity leads the hospital and health system field in increasing the diversity of America’s health care leadership, maintaining an inclusive working environment and enabling equitable care for all individuals. Part of the American Hospital Association, the Institute delivers expertise and education, while serving as an agent of change. For more information, visit our website at www.diversityconnection.org.