2022 Application Period is Open
All organizations or groups in the U.S. that provide care for patients with serious or life-limiting illness are eligible for the award. Up to three Circle of Life Awards will be presented annually; the awards committee also may present Citations of Honor to other noteworthy programs.
Deadline extended! Applications are now due Friday, Aug. 27.
Additional information about the Circle of Life Awards, including who should apply, assessing your readiness and sponsoring organizations, is available below.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
2020 Circle of Life Award Winners
- Caring Circle, Spectrum Health Lakeland, Saint Joseph, Mich.
- Choices and Champions, Novant Health, Winston-Salem, N.C.
Citations of Honor
- Four Seasons Hospice and Palliative Care, Flat Rock, N.C.
- Morristown Medical Center, Weinstein Center Program, Morristown, N.J.
About the Award
Who Should Apply
The Circle of Life Award honors palliative and end-of-life care programs that:
- Serve individuals with serious and life-limiting illness, their families, and their communities.
- Demonstrate effective, patient/family-centered, timely, safe, efficient and equitable care to patients with serious and life-limiting illness.
- Use innovative approaches to meeting critical needs and serve as sustainable, replicable models.
- Pursue quality improvement consistent with the National Consensus Project (NCP) Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care, NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs or other widely-accepted standards, within their resources and capabilities.
- Address physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and cultural needs throughout the disease trajectory.
How do you know if your organization is ready to apply for a Circle of Life Award?
An innovative palliative or end-of-life care provider that is measuring and evaluating the impact of its work on patients, family, and/or the community is ready to apply for a Circle of Life award.
Honorees typically are:
- emphasizing coordinated or integrated care delivery throughout all settings
- engaging underserved populations
- promoting palliative care in diverse populations
- using strategies for engaging communities
- creating partnerships with other health care organizations and practitioners, and initiatives within long-term care facilities.
Up to three Circle of Life Awards will be presented. The awards committee also may present Citations of Honor to other noteworthy programs.
Please contact Jane Jeffries (email@example.com), director, Circle of Life Awards, with any questions.
The 2022 Circle of Life Awards: Celebrating Innovation in Palliative and End-of-Life Care are funded, in part, by the Cambia Health Foundation. Major sponsors of the 2022 awards are the American Hospital Association, the Catholic Health Association, and the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and National Hospice Foundation. The awards are cosponsored by the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, the Center to Advance Palliative Care, the Hospice & Palliative Nurses Association/the Hospice & Palliative Credentialing Center/the Hospice & Palliative Nurses Foundation and the National Association of Social Workers.