Strengthening the Health Care Workforce: Strategies for Now, Near and Far Digital Toolkit
Health care workers show up when we need them the most. We must chart a path forward so the health care workforce has the support they need. The #NowNearandFar resource provides guidance for leaders to support their health care workforce. http://ow.ly/XqjV50JEYvb
The health care workforce is the most important resource to hospitals and health systems. The #NowNearandFar framework provides hospitals with the resources they need to invest in their health care workforce. http://ow.ly/mg3650JEYzA
COVID-19 has taken a heavy toll on the workforce. Health care workers are suffering from stress, trauma, burnout, and behavioral health challenges. The #NowNearandFar compendium helps hospitals address the challenges that health care workers are facing. http://ow.ly/NVvM50JEYIt
Supporting the Team | Burnout
Burnout is not new for health care workers, but COVID-19 has pushed them to their limits. When clinicians are fatigued, it puts a strain on the care system. It is imperative to help combat burnout so care teams #NowNearandFar can continue providing care. http://ow.ly/T7FG50JEZ3P
Health care workers are facing burnout, unlike any other profession. When clinicians are fatigued, it puts a strain on the entire care system. Thread of resources addresses burnout and well-being for clinicians #NowNearandFar. http://ow.ly/EEOE50JEZ7l
- @TweetAONL resource Leading through Crisis: A Resource Compendium for Nurse Leaders – helps #nurseleaders support their team in times of crisis http://ow.ly/mjep50JEZUp
- The AHA Leadership Experience program teaches health care leaders skills to address burnout and mental health. http://ow.ly/Jgfg50JEZZU
- Listen to the latest AHA Masterclass podcast series that discusses how to build health care leader well-being. http://ow.ly/Gks450JF05k
- It is imperative for hospital leaders to identify trauma when it occurs. Listen to a recent AHA Advancing Health podcast that addresses opportunities for hospitals to lead in improving behavioral health treatment for employees. http://ow.ly/J07O50JF090
Supporting the Team | Support Behavioral Health
The waves of COVID-19 patients have put an emotional strain on clinicians. A study from the @MentalHealthAm showed that 93% of clinicians reported stress in 2020. We must address this and create a culture of psychological safety for #NowNearandFar. http://ow.ly/gYwZ50JF0mY
Clinicians across the country are working through grief brought on by COVID-19. A report from @KFF showed only 13% of caregivers receive behavioral health services. A shift is needed so caregivers #NowNearandFar have access to behavioral health services. http://ow.ly/1tbS50JF0tJ
Front-line caregivers #NowNearandFar will be coping with trauma brought on by COVID-19. For health organizations that are expanding their behavioral health services for caregivers, consider these questions. http://ow.ly/RgLc50JF0Cy
- What community-based behavioral health resources exist?
- Is there a Community Mental Health Center, Certified Community Behavioral Health Center, and/or a Federally Qualified Health Center with integrated behavioral health services?
- Are these services accessible to your team members?
Supporting the Team | Workplace Violence Prevention
Health care workers experience some of the highest levels of workplace violence. This must be address so caregivers #NowNearandFar have safe environments to provide care Leadership can take steps to build a safe environment for staff with these takeaways: http://ow.ly/Zslh50JF16F
- Create a culture of safety by prioritizing physical and psychological safety for the workforce and the patients they serve.
- Focus on prevention and training by regularly assessing facility vulnerabilities, supporting violence prevention programs, and education.
- Support those experiencing trauma due to violence and recognize that trauma can impact those not directly involved with dangerous events.
Accountability is needed to grow workplace violence programs. Threat assessment reports, reports on success and challenges, and leadership sponsorship are all steps needed to grow a safe workplace for health care workers #NowNearandFar. Thread on resources: http://ow.ly/qnFh50JF1Ov
- @MAHealthHosp guidance on Developing Healthcare Safety & Violence Prevention Programs within Hospitals provides an understanding of the current best violence prevention practices being used across hospitals in Massachusetts. http://ow.ly/FOXN50JF1UX
- The @iahss Strategies to Mitigate Violence in Healthcare resource focuses on threat assessment as a tool for prevention and mitigation. http://ow.ly/TFPe50JF1YF
- @tweetAONL Guiding Principles for Mitigating Violence in Workplace Toolkit shares steps to systematically reduce violence, including bullying, as well as patient and family violence in the workplace. http://ow.ly/hUqf50JF24I