Our vision is of a society of healthy communities, where all individuals reach their highest potential for health.
Our mission is to advance the health of individuals and communities. The AHA leads, represents and serves hospitals, health systems and other related organizations that are accountable to the community and committed to health improvement.
The change we are experiencing as a health care field is unprecedented.
Not only are significant developments taking place at the speed of light, it seems like change is coming at us from every direction. An unstable regulatory environment, an unpredictable federal budget, chronic disease, the move from volume to value, consumers’ demand for convenience, and an acceleration of novel partnerships and new entrants into the field…the seemingly endless list can be overwhelming.
Rather than a challenge, we see it as an opportunity to create the next generation health care system.
Although it seems like change is happening TO us, in reality, hospitals and health systems have been working hard to reinvent ourselves to better meet the demands of our patients and communities. We are actively pursuing innovative new ways to deliver health care and keep patients healthy. Some examples include:
- Emerging delivery models with opportunities to help providers be successful in ensuring access to communities.
- Investing in advanced telehealth capabilities to provide care in rural and underserved areas.
- Artificial intelligence to support improvements in such areas as early detection of disease, patient communication, clinical decision-making and hospital command centers.
- Use of data analytics to address social determinants of health, and use of blockchain to enhance digital security and maximize the power of data.
- New workforce models to address care coordination, shortages, competency development and technology.
- Creative partnerships with diverse community groups.
- Strategies for behavioral health solutions and integration.
- Enhanced leadership strategies, capabilities and roles for both hospital leadership and boards.
We are taking a leadership role in determining our future, and will work strategically in new and different ways with a variety of stakeholders. Change happens fast and we have to be ahead of the curve.
Take, for example, our new 2019-2020 Strategic Plan. We looked at our existing strategy, we took the current realities and trends into account, we conducted in-depth discussions with our members, and we developed environmental assumptions to improve our strategy – which you’ll see on the following pages. Now we’re amplifying our strategic vision to ensure that hospitals and health systems can take an active role in health care transformation.
Our strategy involves some shifts in the way we do business. Notably, we will provide increased value for our members through an Agenda for Innovation and Transformation focused on innovation capacity, public policy and field engagement.
Our goal is that this strategic plan will make your world easier to navigate. We know that understanding and improving your unique circumstances is critical to achieving our vision of a society of healthy communities, where all individuals reach their highest potential for health.
Thank you for your work to advance the health of America. We have a big year ahead of us, and I look forward to working together to achieve our shared goals.
President and CEO, AHA