One in four Americans experiences a mental illness or substance use disorder each year, and the majority also has a comorbid physical health condition.
- Nearly 44 million adults experience a mental illness in a given year.
- 1 in 5 children ages 13-18 have, or will have, a serious mental illness.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Approximately 10.2 million adults have co-occurring mental health and addition disorders.*
- On average, 115 Americans die every day for an opioid overdose.**
The need for a strong behavioral health care workforce is more important than ever. The AHA is working to strengthen this important area of health care and integrate it with primary care.
*Infographics: Mental Health Facts, National Alliance on Mental Health, www.nami.org.
- Behavioral Health – Resources
- Behavioral Health Update
- The State of the Behavioral Health Workforce: A Literature Review
- 7 Steps to Expand the Behavioral Health Capabilities of Your Workforce
- Tele-Psych resources
- Clinician education on prescribing practices
- A Deep Dive into Hospital/Health System Partnerships with Community Behavioral Health: February 2019 webinar
- Behavioral design strategies
- Additional tools and resources addressing behavioral health workforce challenges